ADMINISTRATIVE COORDINATOR, DARMAX
Duties: The University of Pennsylvania's Development and Alumni Relations Marketing and Communications (DARMAX) Department is responsible for conceiving and executing communications strategies to advance the goals of Penn's Development and Alumni Relations office (DAR) and the mission of the University.
The Administrative Coordinator provides advanced organizational and administrative functions for the Executive Director of DAR Marketing and Communications and to the department as a whole. The position requires cultivating an understanding of the University's vendor payment system and budgetary accounting procedures at the department level as well as the process for producing Gift Acknowledgements for the signature of the University President. The position also has high-level visibility throughout DAR and requires a strong sense of the function of communication within a Development program.
A key area of responsibility includes keeping track of all DARMAX expenditures, facilitating the department's purchasing and payments, analyzing expenses, making future financial projections and advising the Executive Director on developing annual DARMAX budgets.
Other tasks include remaining abreast of the department's projects and production schedules, maintaining the Executive Director's calendar and work flow, and proofreading a variety of written materials including video scripts, fundraising proposals and publications.
As this position triages and handles a wide range of administrative, budget and process responsibilities, the ability to work across the University with staff and executives at every level is essential. Independent judgment, critical thinking and a keen sense of organization and detail in project and process management is also critical.
* Works proactively and also collaboratively, while demonstrating resourcefulness and sound strategic thinking. Must be capable of juggling multiple projects and meeting tight deadlines.
* Functions as needed as an alternate to the Stewardship Communications Administrative Coordinator for executing the process of processing, proofreading, formatting and preparing Gift Acknowledgement letters for the signature of the University President. This high-volume process also includes personally delivering the letters to the President's Office by noon. This position may also be called upon to assist the Stewardship Communications Administrative Coordinator in this process during peak periods.
* Analyzes daily expenditures and projects future budget needs.
* Advises Executive Director in developing annual DARMAX budget and accompanies the Executive Director to all budget meetings.
* Works with DARMAX Directors, Business Administration, Accounts Payable and Strategic Purchasing in the analysis and approval of vendor contracts, purchase order requisitions, invoice processing and trouble-shooting.
* Maintains detailed tracking reports of requisitions and purchase orders, producing budget and financial reports and communicating with Business Administration and the DARMAX Directors; requires specialized training and completion of classes on BEN Financials.
* Gathers data, organizes and helps interpret financial reports, composes and distributes minutes and other materials, and may communicate directly with DAR leadership for special meetings, i.e., DAR Communications Council.
* Actively manages administration of the department, including greeting visitors, coordinating for new hires, and maintaining archives, supplies and equipment.
* Assists senior staff in varied, time-sensitive tasks such as uploading and arranging transcription of digital files, preparing for mass mailings, editing and proofreading of speeches, letters, scholarship reports, publications, proposals and scripts.
* Acquires specialized training and maintains proficiency in Penn's financial, travel, and shipping computer systems to ensure adherence to department budget and Penn policy; participate in Penn-wide meetings or training on these systems as required.
* Communicates directly with DAR leadership and/or their staff as directed, i.e., DAR Communications Council and DARMAX Alumni Weekend coordination.
* Performs various administrative duties, including fielding phone calls and maintaining an administrative DARMAX Procedures Manual.
* Maintains Executive Director's calendar and assists with work flow, projects and schedules; assists preparing, proofreading or editing materials in a professional manner for special and routine projects for Executive Director and DARMAX Directors.
Qualifications: High School Diploma required, Associate's Degree or Two Year College equivalent or BA preferred. 5-7 years minimum experience supporting a senior executive and multiple team members in an administrative capacity, preferably in a development setting, with excellent proofreading, writing, editing, and communicating skills. Demonstrated ability to coordinate and assist in the planning of multiple concurrent projects, and to meet stated deadlines. Experience in working with budgets, preparing financial reports, working and contracting with vendors. Excellent interpersonal skills with a high degree of comfort in interacting both orally and in writing with team members and with all levels of professional distinction.
Good computer skills, with special emphasis on preparing or editing professional documents.
Reference Number: 90-27891
Salary Grade: 025
Employment Type: Non-Exempt
Org: DAR Communications
Special Requirements: Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Job Family: X-Secretarial/Administrative