Chief Procurement Officer
Position Title: Chief Procurement Officer
Division/Department: Office of SVP for Business & Finance
Reports To: Chief Financial Officer and Senior Vice President for Administration
The Chief Procurement Officer will define and implements (and be an agent of change for) procurement strategy by leveraging the supplier base and by working with the operating managers to secure quality products and services at the best prices within required time frames.
• As a member of the Finance management team, contribute to the formulation and communication of financial services strategy to ensure that procurement-related matters are considered.
• Establish effective and rigorous policies in the Purchasing Office and formalize these policies into procedures to provide a strong and professional Purchasing Office.
• Define and oversee the implementation of procurement policies, guidelines and processes to deliver long term competitive advantage to the School and to ensure a consistent and professional level of service is provided to all managers and functions.
• Plan, implement and manage the Procurement process to support position in the competitive higher education market in Atlanta and the broader region.
• Establish and gain support for a supplier strategy which achieves required quality, deliver, service and commercial terms from suppliers.
• Rationalize the supplier base and improve the efficiency of the supply chain where possible.
• Help develop, implement and manage the procurement process and strategy for research and clinical related purchases.
• Research supply markets and assess suppliers, develop sourcing strategies for major commodities, and monitor suppliers’ performance to assist in reducing the cost of education services to students.
• Provide a purchasing framework within which local buying can be cost-effective and implemented with the required service levels
• Direct the introduction of best procurement practices to ensure that procurement at all organizational levels is carried out in line with best practice and there is a high level of awareness of the important contribution of procurement to the efficiency and effectiveness of the School’s operations.
• Prepare annual goals and budgets for the Purchasing Office to submit the School’s planning process, ensure that the Purchasing Office operates within agreed goals and budgets, and establish improvement target for the Purchasing Office.
• Recruit, motivate, appraise and develop reporting staff to ensure that the Purchasing Office is equipped to meet its objectives with a strong base of procurement professionals by supervising the implementation of coaching, training and management development plans.
• Develop and maintain external contacts in the procurement field to ensure that the organization keeps up with developments in procurement theory and practice.
• Performs other related duties such as attending ad hoc committee meetings, ensuring proper maintenance of records and files, etc.
• Supervises the Purchasing Director.
• Daily contacts with work associates. Frequent contacts with department heads, faculty, clinicians, researchers and staff to assist, advise, and facilitate procurement of materials and with suppliers’ sales representatives regarding their products.
• Internally needs to have a close working relationship with all functions and with own procurement team. Externally the jobholder will need to build a network of relationships with a wide variety of suppliers and scientific research offices.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Strong negotiation skills with a proven track record for getting the best deal in the marketplace.
• Knowledge and experience with E-Commerce and electronic procurement applications.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
• BS in Business Administration or related discipline.
• Seven to ten years of experience in a range of management roles in the procurement area.
• Frequent standing, walking, and sitting for extended periods of time is required
• Lifting 20lbs as needed • Ability to work evenings and weekends
• Some travel required Morehouse College is an equal opportunity employer.
No employee or applicant will be discriminated against in any condition of employment because of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, veteran status or any other status protected by law. Apply by using the following method: To be considered for a position with Morehouse College, please complete the employment application and upload your resume. Please ensure that the position title and corresponding department are included on your cover letter, resume and/or employment application. Morehouse College Employment Application Upload your resume and cover letter here: Submit your resume and cover letter . (PDF format preferred) http://www.morehouse.edu/humanresources/current_vacancies.html