Sterilization and Dispensing Technician
Sterilization and Dispensing Technician
Union Level: IV
Department: Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry
Campus: San Francisco
Posting Number: 201301256P
Full or Part Time: Full Time
Number of Months: 12
Position End Date:
Open Date: 01/30/2018
Open Until Filled: Yes
Under the immediate supervision of the Sterilization and Dispensing Manager, perform duties related to infection control and the sterilization and dispensing areas.
1. Process used dental instruments and equipment to include receiving, cleaning, wrapping, and sterilization of semi-critical and critical items; disinfect non-critical portable dental equipment; inspect contents of all instrument cassettes and packages for completeness and damage; replace as needed.
2. Operate and assist in the maintenance of washing and cleaning sterilization machines in central sterilization, including weekly biological testing of all autoclaves.
3. Prepare pre-packaged disposable items; dispense instrument cassettes and dental materials/equipment according to established procedures.
4. Maintain an accurate inventory of borrowed and returned cassettes, materials, and equipment; maintain security of all inventory according to established procedures.
5. Understand and properly employ the electronic tracking system using bar coding, scanners, and reports provided by tracking software.
6. Order supplies for dispensing windows; restock inventory as needed; track inventory in the dispensary and storage lockers.
7. Maintain a neat, clean and orderly sterilization room and dispensing area according to established standards.
8. Monitor adherence to infection control policies and procedures among clinic students, residents and faculty.
9. Perform other duties as assigned by the Sterilization and Dispensing Manager.
1. Position is full-time, seven and one half (7.5) hours per day, five (5) days per week. Incumbent must be available to work varying shifts to include evenings.
2. Occupational exposure to bloodborne pathogens may reasonably be anticipated. Personal protective equipment will be provided to reduce or eliminate exposure to routine or limited infectious agents.
1. Sterilization techniques.
2. Infection control protocol and requirements.
1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. Certification in Central Sterilization required.
1. Dental instruments/materials and their use.
2. Dental terminology and procedures.
1. Previous experience in a hospital or health care delivery system is highly desirable.
1. Recognize and set-up dental instruments.
2. Communicate effectively with faculty, staff, students, and patients.
3. Maintain a professional demeanor at all times.
4. Effectively provide assistance to staff and students.
The physical demands described here are representative but not definitive of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
1. Requires standing during the majority of working hours.
2. Requires lifting of instrument baskets in and out of autoclave machine and lifting boxes of gloves and dental materials up to 40 lbs.
3. Requires moving large mobile carts through clinic areas and into/out of elevators.
Hiring Range: 28.20 per hour
To apply, visit: https://pacific.peopleadmin.com/postings/11364
Background Check Statement:
Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check
AA/EEO Policy Statement:
University of the Pacific is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity. In compliance with applicable law and its own policy, Pacific is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff and does not discriminate in its hiring of faculty and staff, or in the provision of its employment benefits to its faculty and staff on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sex/gender, marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, or mental or physical disability.