AVP for Planning, Budget, and Analysis
Requisition # 2018-8430
Department Planning, Budget & Analysis
Category Financial Services and Procurement
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
The Assistant Vice President for Budget, Planning, and Analysis, reporting to the Vice President for Finance and Treasurer, is a key strategic institutional partner whose primary objective is to lead a world class financial planning, budget and analysis organization that is committed to the mission of the university.
The Office of Finance & Treasury actively searches for staff members of exceptional ability and promise who share in Princeton University's commitment to excellence, and who present a diversity of viewpoints and cultures. We offer varied professional opportunities spanning all aspects of financial management, analysis, and processing in support of the teaching and research mission. As part of the University community, we respect the dignity and individuality of each member while trying to foster a sense of shared experience and common purpose. We are unwavering in our commitment to both diversity and community and embrace the variety of talents, backgrounds, and perspectives of all of our colleagues.
- Leads the development and advises senior University leadership regarding the efficient and effective budgeting and planning of resources, and ensures that resources are stewarded. The successful candidate will lead the development of complex financial analyses and reports; and the development of multi-year projections.
- In partnership with other offices, develop a robust financial reporting framework for the University and its operating units that meets the needs of the University, including executive leadership and academic and administrative departmental leaders. Ensures that framework meets the needs of a matrixed organization and incorporates non-financial data and metrics as required to support regular academic and administrative management and decision-making.
- Provides outreach and support to all levels of administrative staff and leadership on development of financial plans and analyses. Develops and communicates efficient and transparent financial business processes that address departmental needs while also supporting the overall goals and priorities of the University. Serves as a process improvement sponsor as necessary and appropriate.
- Leads and manages budget, planning and analysis staff including recruiting, retaining, and developing individual staff members. Develops succession plans, identifies professional development opportunities and ensures that staff are crossed trained.
- Staffs, chairs, or serves on University committees as requested. Represents the University to external parties as appropriate.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Masters' degree strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 7 to 10 years of progressively responsible budget, analysis, reporting, planning and operational management experience in a complex educational, research or other closely related organization.
- Demonstrated success supervising professional administrative staff.
- Demonstrated experience with development of varied and complex financial/programmatic analyses and reports in support of strategic decision-making.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively convey complex data to a wide array of audiences.
- Experienced user and developer of budget and other financial systems, analytical tools, and databases.
- Demonstrated leadership ability with a proven record of success in working with all levels of leadership and staff in a rapidly changing and complex organization.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.