Director, Prospect Development
The Director of Prospect Development will provide dynamic and analytical leadership to the prospect development team, consisting of prospect management and prospect research. This team is responsible for identifying prospects to achieve the University's fundraising priorities, and for advising development staff in the strategic management of donor relationships (including recording and reporting on these interactions). The director will provide insight and direction in operational and cultural practices by managing an integrated model designed to synthesize prospect development into a truly collaborative partnership with the University's fundraising and engagement professionals.
The director is expected to be a subject matter expert in a wide array of research tools and databases, financial analysis for wealth assessment, products related to overall research analysis, report writing tools, and prospect development software. This person must have the experience to lead the team in its ability to maximize the creative opportunities derived from the intersection of data, technology, and creative prospect identification. This position will regularly interact with key stakeholders which include advancement leadership, development and engagement professionals, advancement services staff, and campus partners.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to think critically, strategically, and creatively. High level of comfort with understanding, manipulating, and communicating complex data to a wide variety of audiences.
- Well-developed knowledge of the principals of prospect development, including prospect identification, research and management, as well as data analysis, querying and reporting.
- Ability to work with colleagues who have varied styles and skill levels.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Proven ability to work with a high level of independence, maintain confidentiality, and prioritize assignments.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to foster and maintain effective relationships with colleagues, alumni, donors, volunteers, and University officials. Ability to interact effectively with diverse groups who have competing interests and priorities within the University and community.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Five years of prospect development experience, preferably in a higher education or similar complex setting.
- Graduate degree.
- Seven or more years of experience in relationship-based fundraising and/or prospect development and/or data analytics in a higher education or nonprofit environment.
- Prospect development experience with multiple organizations.
- Experience working with Banner, CRM Advance (or similar contemporary CRM solutions), and Microsoft Office products.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) Tuesday, February 13, 2018.
Candidates must apply online through www.dujobs.org and submit a cover letter and resume with the application to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please click "New Resume/CV" at the bottom of the page to begin an application. Applicants may contact with questions related to these positions. Please do not forward resumes or application materials to this email address, only applications submitted online will be considered.
- Learn more about the DU Advancement team.
- Browse the most recent University of Denver Magazine.
- View a short welcome video and learn more about the wide range of benefit choices available to University of Denver professionals.
- Discover our strategic planning process, Imagine DU, and review our strategic plan, DU IMPACT 2025.
- The University of Denver recognizes that our success is dependent on how well we value, engage, and include the rich diversity of constituents in all we do. Discover our vision and learn about our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusive excellence.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
NOTE: The online system is limited to uploading 10 files. Please combine content if necessary to get all content uploaded.
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.