ACCOUNT CLERK, SENIOR
ACCOUNT CLERK, SENIOR
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
Position #: 1800014
Cover Letter, Resume/CV
CLASSIFIED EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
First Review Date:
$46,497 - $56,677 Annual Salary (Range 75: Classified Salary Schedule Fiscal Year 2016-2017). Starting placement is generally at Step 1.
Excellent fringe benefit package includes District paid medical, dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection. Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts. Classified employees also receive vacation, sick leave and 18 paid holidays.
The Account Clerk, Senior will report to the Controller at the District Office. The work schedule is 12 months per year; Monday - Friday; 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Reconcile and balance a variety of accounts, ledgers, and registers which are related to the District’s accounting and payroll systems. 2. Prepare journal entries as needed. 3. Generate warrants from codes through a computer terminal; verify codes for accounting documents entered into system. 4. Document and prepare worksheets and back-up data required for mandated cost claims in compliance with Federal or State regulations, for federal and state funded programs. 5. Maintain general and subsidiary ledgers, daily logs, registers and other records according to established revenue and expenditure classifications. 6. Operate micro-computer software including spreadsheet and word processing programs as needed to maintain control documents. 7. Maintain files for vendor payments and numerical copies of checks. 8. Enter invoices into computer system to generate edit reports and checks. 9. Gather, assemble, tabulate, proof, extend, balances, summarize and post fiscal, statistical and related data. 10. Prepare monthly and yearly financial reports for various agencies such as sales tax report, or foundation reports. 11. Prepare statements and reports of financial activity. 12. Research discrepancies in financial records. 13. Prepare budget transfers for Board approval and reconcile those budget accounts to monthly financial reports. 14. Assist in preparation of the Adopted Budget. 15. Reconcile payroll and annual payroll taxes. 16. Prepare year-end closing for Student Accounts/Activities for college campuses. 17. Reconcile bank statements. 18. Perform related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS Knowledge: 1. Principles, methods, practices, and terminology used in bookkeeping and financial recordkeeping. 2. District policies and procedures regarding specific financial system assigned. 3. Appropriate laws, rules, and regulations relating to assigned functions. 4. Computer terminal and personal computer use and related equipment. Skills and Abilities: 1. Perform responsible accounting clerical work requiring use of independent judgment and initiative. 2. Read, interpret, and explain laws, rules, and regulations. 3. Prepare accurate financial and statistical reports and maintain records. 4. Communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing. 5. Make arithmetical calculations with speed and accuracy. 6. Operate calculating machines, computer terminals, personal computers and other office equipment.
Special Licenses, Certificates, etc.:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Education equivalent to college level course work in Accounting or related field.
2. Two year of experience in Accounts Payable or Accounting.
3. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identity, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the students we serve ;and sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
4. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District's hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
1. An Associate Degree in Accounting, Business, Finance or related field and
2. Experience working with grants or categorical programs.
3. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
1. Office environment
1. Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting; to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight; to operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard; and to verbally communicate to exchange information.
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District:
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2016, with enrollment of approximately 16,000 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 41%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 1%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% - AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the District's emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse classified staff consisting of 40% Hispanic/Latino, 29% Asian/Pacific Islander, 5% Black/African American, 1% American Indian/Native American, 20% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, language, accent, immigration status, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and physical or mental disability consistent with applicable federal and state laws.
Human Resources/Employment Services, 40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113, (408) 270-6414.
Application Procedures, Notes and Contact Info:
Interested applicants MUST SUBMIT ONLINE ALL of the following materials by the closing date to be considered for the position (Posting at: https://sjeccd.hiretouch.com. Click "APPLY"):
1. A completed online San Jose/Evergreen Community College District POSITION APPLICATION
2. COVER LETTER (Must state how you meet ALL the minimum qualifications in EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE as described in the job announcement Minimum Qualifications section. Also, state how you meet other qualifications)
3. RESUME, and
4. TRANSCRIPT(S) - NOT DIPLOMAS - (unofficial or official copies) for stated degrees (having confer/award dates) or courses. Official transcripts will be required prior to employment start date should the position be offered. If foreign degrees, must submit Equivalency Certification (See #6 of the Instruction Section below).
If you do not have an electronic version of the transcript, you can get it scanned at Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, etc.; then attach the electronic version of your transcript to this online application at the later part of the application process.
For assistance, contact:
Office of Human Resources, Employment Services
40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113
Phone: (408) 270-6414 Fax: (408) 239-8818
Email: [email protected]
Web site @ https://jobs.sjeccd.edu. or www.sjeccd.edu.
To learn more about us and all our open positions, visit: http://www.sjeccd.edu/district-services/human-resources/employment-opportunities