San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
Position #: 1800015
Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Transcript Bachelor's Degree (Must include Award/Confer Date)
CONFIDENTIAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
First Review Date:
$77,135 - $96,324 Annual Salary (Range 125: Confidential Salary Schedule Fiscal Year 2015-2016). Starting placement is generally at Step 1.
Excellent fringe benefit package includes District paid medical, dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection. Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts. Supervisor positions also include 22 vacation days, 17 holidays, 12 sick leave days and 6 administrative leave days per year.
The Budget Analyst reports to the Executive Director of Fiscal Services located at the District Office. The work schedule is 12-months per year; 40 hours per week; Monday - Friday; 8:00 a.m. -5:00 p.m.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Prepare, review, and input budget related entries in the District financial systems. 2. Analyze and identify significant budget to actual variances for the current and prior fiscal years, and identify decision points for review by fiscal administrators. 3. Oversee the technical implementation of the budget process according to an established budget development calendar. 4. Interact with administrators, staff, and committees to inform them of the status of current operations. 5. Work closely with the colleges to monitor expenditures and revenues as necessary to assure appropriate use of funds. 6. Monitor current status of various projects to assure continued financial viability and compliance with pertinent statutes and regulations such as Fifty Percent Law. 7. Validate the availability of funds for transactions related to employment costs. 8. Provide information to various offices on account codes, budget status, and related information. 9. Administer budget systems, policies, and procedures as assigned. 10. Prepare financial data for quarterly reports to the State and budget reports for the Board of Trustees; analyze budget information and prepare a variety of established and ad hoc reports. 11. Prepare manuals to train campus personnel on the preparation of budget materials, accounting procedures, and policies. 12. Communicate with various internal departments and outside agencies to prepare or provide them with required reports. 13. Balance the budget in the District’s budget and financial management systems, reconciling with Federal, State and local agency reports. 14. Coordinate with Human Resources to maintain, analyze, and revise personnel budgets, including benefit rate tables; monitor and prepare reports related to benefit/personnel costs; prepare and process related corrections in respective databases. 15. Research, analyze and recommend solutions to various complex budgetary and accounting problems. 16. Research financial data from various units and other funding sources including tuition and fees, grants and contracts, auxiliary enterprises, fundraising and other sources of revenue to support an integrated budget and resource planning model. 17. Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS Knowledge of: 1. Generally accepted accounting and auditing principles, practices, and procedures. 2. Grant agency practices, procedures, and requirements. 3. Financial analysis and research procedures. 4. California community college budgeting, accounting, purchasing, and organizational policies and procedures. 5. Applicable sections of State Education Code, State Budget and Accounting Manual requirements, and other applicable laws and regulations. 6. Modern office procedures, methods and computer equipment. 7. District budget, accounting, organization, and operation policies and objectives. 8. Integrated financial management systems and high proficiency in Excel. 9. Technical aspects of field of specialty. Skills and Abilities to: 1. Reconcile, balance and audit various records and accounts. 2. Compile, analyze and record financial and statistical data. 3. Prepare comprehensive reports and make solutions. 4. Interpret, apply, and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures. 5. Direct, oversee, review and critique the work of others. 6. Operate a variety of office machines including computer devices. 7. Use Microsoft Office software effectively. 8. Maintain accurate financial records and files. 9. Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing. 10. Work independently in the absence of supervision. 11. Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Special Licenses, Certificates, etc.:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or business administration.
2. Three years of increasingly responsible professional accounting or budgeting experience.
3. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students we serve; and sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
3. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District's hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
1. Bilingual Abilities, desirable.
1. Typical office environment.
1. Essential and other important functions may require maintaining physical condition necessary for sitting for prolonged periods of time.
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District:
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2016, with enrollment of approximately 16,000 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 41%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 1%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% - AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the District's emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse group of managers, supervisors and confidential staff consisting of 30 % Hispanic/Latino, 16% Asian/Pacific Islander, 7% Black/African American, 47% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, language, accent, immigration status, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and physical or mental disability consistent with applicable federal and state laws.
Human Resources/Employment Services, 40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113, (408) 270-6414.
Application Procedures, Notes and Contact Info:
Interested applicants MUST SUBMIT ONLINE ALL of the following materials by the closing date to be considered for the position (Posting at: https://sjeccd.hiretouch.com. Click "APPLY"):
1. A completed online San Jose/Evergreen Community College District POSITION APPLICATION
2. COVER LETTER (Must state how you meet ALL the minimum qualifications in EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE as described in the job announcement Minimum Qualifications section. Also, state how you meet other qualifications)
3. RESUME, and
4. TRANSCRIPT(S) - NOT DIPLOMAS - (unofficial or official copies) for stated degrees (having confer/award dates) or courses. Official transcripts will be required prior to employment start date should the position be offered. If foreign degrees, must submit Equivalency Certification (See #6 of the Instruction Section below).
If you do not have an electronic version of the transcript, you can get it scanned at Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, etc.; then attach the electronic version of your transcript to this online application at the later part of the application process.
For assistance, contact:
Office of Human Resources, Employment Services
40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113
Phone: (408) 270-6414 Fax: (408) 239-8818
Email: [email protected]
Web site @ https://jobs.sjeccd.edu. or www.sjeccd.edu.
To learn more about us and all our open positions, visit: http://www.sjeccd.edu/district-services/human-resources/employment-opportunities