Dean, Teaching and Learning
POSITION: Dean, Teaching and Learning
DEPARTMENT: Academic Affairs - Center for Teaching and Learning
REPORTS TO: Provost/VPAA
The dean of teaching and learning is responsible for implementing the strategic vision of the university by developing and overseeing the Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL). The dean is a locus for leadership, education, and support of technology-enhanced learning strategies for UWS, providing university-wide coordination of associated activities. The dean facilitates the ongoing improvement of all university academic programs through faculty development and training, and the development of teaching and learning resources that meet the quality expectations of the university. Lastly, the dean participates as a member of the department of Academic Affairs in planning, scheduling and operationalizing programs that meet the mission of the university.
The Dean of Teaching and Learning reports to the Provost/VPAA and supervises:
- Instructional design staff
- Leads the CTL team in creating long-term visions, goals, and implementing plans for enhanced faculty support services.
- Stays abreast of the most current trends and research in teaching and learning (i.e. technology-enhanced and active learning).
- Oversees personnel who assist faculty in redesigning and diversifying their courses through innovative andragogical techniques.
- Collaborate with program faculty, and other academic leaders and committees on quality improvement processes that enhance the design and planning of curricula, course delivery, learning environments, and faculty development.
- Support faculty and programs in curriculum evaluation and design.
- Coordinate with director of academic assessment to accomplish student learning assessment objectives of the institution.
- Identify faculty interests and needs in professional development, maintain data regarding faculty competency, satisfaction, and use of services.
- Organize, plan, and lead faculty development program related to evidence-based teaching and learning, including: workshops, retreats, brown bag series, guest speakers, and best andragogical practices for on-campus, online and blended learning environments.
- Collaborate with deans and program directors to develop a faculty orientation and peer mentor program.
- Develop and maintain comprehensive knowledge about current research on professional development for health science faculty.
- Facilitate evidence-based teaching and learning.
- Facilitate and support campus collaborations in the scholarship of teaching and learning.
- Champion the innovative use of technology in academic teaching and learning.
- Ensure support is provided to administrators and faculty in the development of new programs.
- Work with the department of Academic Affairs and academic personnel to ensure course compliance with accreditation requirements.
- Keep abreast of new developments and research in educational technology, teaching and learning that will enhance the academic quality of university programs, and share this information with administration and faculty as appropriate.
- Network with local, regional, and national colleagues.
- Ensure tools (e.g. learning management system, lecture capture and other technologies) utilized for teaching and learning meet the needs of faculty, staff and students.
- Ensure course spaces are operational and effectively designed prior to start of each term.
- Conduct annual assessment of CTL, its personnel and services.
- Oversee personnel who provide support to students, faculty and staff utilizing educational technologies (e.g. learning management system, lecture capture and other technologies).
REQUIREMENTS: (Education, Training & Experience)
- Ed.D. or Ph.D. from an accredited institution plus three to five years of experience in faculty development and leadership in higher education.
- Experience in graduate level education preferred.
- Academic administrative experience, including supervision of personnel.
- A successful college-level teaching record in both online and in-person environments.
- A record of, or potential for, scholarship in teaching and learning and/or educational development.
- Demonstrated evidence of collaborative experience working on projects, grants, or publications.
- Education and training related to theories, practice, and research related to higher education teaching and learning, including online instruction.
- Experience in curriculum evaluation and design.
QUALIFICATIONS: (Knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform job)
- Has adaptable leadership style that can be transformational, participative, transactional, and motivational, which emphasizes goal achievement and team development.
- Ability to lead dynamic teams.
- Ability to facilitate change and implement new programs and services utilizing evidence-based practices in teaching, learning and assessment.
- Strong presentation, communication, collaboration, and organizational skills.
- Familiarity with regulations and accreditation standards related to teaching and learning.
- Strong working knowledge of a variety of educational technologies (learning management systems, assessment systems, and more).
- Outstanding analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to exercise professional judgment and assume responsibility for decisions.
- Must be able to handle responsibilities of a confidential nature and exercise a high level of discretion and independent judgment.
- Ability to negotiate contracts and agreements with vendors in collaboration with other offices as appropriate.
- Proven expertise in planning and executing operational plans, managing projects and/or programs, budgeting and cost control.
- Ability to translate institution-wide strategies and priorities into strategic and operational plans and policies for the CTL.
APPLICATION, SCREENING AND HIRING PROCESS:
Screening of applicants will begin immediately and the position will remain open until filled. Please submit a letter of application, a curriculum vitae and names and contact information of three references. Official transcripts from prior institutions of higher learning must be received prior to offer being extended to the finalist.
University of Western States conducts background checks for the finalist or finalists of staff and faculty positions. The type of background check will vary by position type.
University of Western States is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please visit our website and click the big orange button: https://www.uws.edu/about/employment/
You may attach your materials as Word or PDF documents.