College Laboratory Technician - Chemistry
Location: Baruch College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Open until February 28, 2018 with review of resumes beginning on February 12, 2018.
FACULTY VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT:
The Department of Natural Sciences at Baruch College offers courses in biology, chemistry, physics, and environmental sciences. Reporting to the Chair of the Natural Sciences Department, the College Laboratory Technician (CLT) will provide technical support for undergraduate courses and for research by designated faculty where appropriate. The Chairperson or his designee will determine what materials, equipment, supplies, etc. will be allocated/assigned to support courses, sections and faculty research; will designate appropriate protocols to be followed; and will assign projects.
Principal responsibilities during the academic year and summer sessions will include:
1) Prepare reagents, buffers, solutions, media, cultures, slides, stains and similar materials required for assigned courses, and ensure that these and all required reagents and equipment needed for appropriate courses are available in a timely appropriate fashion and in sufficient quality and quantity.
2) Pre-test new exercises and experiments before they are used in courses to ensure that all reagents, equipment, etc., are satisfactory and of good quality.
3) When a class is over, dispose of waste materials and solutions in appropriate fashion; replenish materials and solutions for the next class and make sure that equipment is working.
4) Remove and store reagents, glassware, supplies, stocks, and any other materials used in lecture and/or laboratory exercises and classes in good condition and in an appropriate fashion as compatible with their safe use and proper storage procedures.
5) Maintain safety regulations and obtain a New York City Fire Department Certificate of Fitness for operation of the laboratories.
6) Coordinate with the College’s Environmental Health and Safety Officer for disposal of chemical waste.
7) Track the use and consumption of all laboratory consumable supplies such as reagents and media materials and submit appropriate requisitions for the re-purchase of such supplies in a timely fashion to ensure their continuing availability.
8) Maintain specialized instructional equipment used for undergraduate courses in good working order, including regular routine damage inspection and preventive maintenance as specified by equipment manufacturers. Ensure safe storage and safe use of equipment.
9) Track and maintain inventory of equipment and supplies. Where appropriate, contact specialty vendors concerning the availability, pricing, etc., of items in such inventories. Coordinate local and external repairs and maintenance as and when required.
10) Ensure that College and department safety protocols are followed when using materials and equipment in lab courses and be vigilant in identifying and reporting any actual or potential health/safety hazards or incidents.
High School Diploma with a minimum of four years' related experience. Additional education may be used to meet the experience requirement: an Associate degree may be substituted for two years experience, and a Bachelor's degree may be substituted for four years experience.
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
HOW TO APPLY:
To be considered for this position, please submit your application online by clicking on "Apply Now" through this link https://home.cunyfirst.cuny.edu/psp/cnyepprd/GUEST/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=18241&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1
Candidates should provide a resume and cover letter.
Emailed or hard copy applications will not be considered.
If you have any questions, please contact HR at 646-660-6590.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.