Accountant II - HR Benefits
Scope of Job
To perform work involving the administration and supervision of all benefits accounting in the Human Resources Benefits area. Responsibilities include the application of general accounting knowledge and abilities in the preparation of a variety of complex, regular and special financial reports and statements.
Description of Duties
• Prepares monthly premium reports for various benefit plans and completes self-billing process including the remittance of payments to vendors. (The Standard/EAP).
• Processes all vendor payments in a timely manner.
• Identifies discrepancies and monitors adjustment/correction transactions for employee deductions regarding their benefits plan elections.
• Reconciles all employee deductions and remittance of payments to insurance plans, including heath, dental, vision, life, accidental death and dismemberment and disability coverages for long term and short term insurances.
• Ensures coverage accuracy between UTRGV and UT System based on life event changes for proper billing.
• Responsible for maintaining accurate ACH account information for retirees and assists with updates to accounts as needed.
• Identifies accounts that are past due and ensures notifications are sent out for collection.
• Sends delinquency letters and follows up with arrear process.
• Coordinates with University Treasurer, Procurement, Bursar’s Office, Salary Administration, and Payroll Office regarding all payments and collections and refunds processed for the benefits area.
• Performs specific accounting tasks toward completion.
• Prepares various schedules and statements for the Benefits area.
• Performs statistical analysis to determine trends, estimates, and the impacts of accounting changes to accounting policies.
• Prepares narrative reports that summarize and interpret current and projected financial positions for management.
• Reviews and develops accounting procedures regarding benefits accounting.
• Prepares and maintains financial records, ledgers, statements, and reports pertaining to the Human Resources Benefits area.
• Maintains and reconciles state, federal, and University reports.
• Reviews and approves expenditures, monitor University accounts, reconciles receipts and accounts.
• May assist in the preparation of budgets and budget analysis.
• Other duties as assigned.
Specific supervision from assigned supervisor.
May supervise assigned staff.
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Economics, Management or related field from an accredited University.
Two (2) years’ of accounting experience.
The above required experience acquired in Higher Education and or experience working in benefits accounting or related to the duties above.
Personal computer and related spreadsheet and database software. Ten key calculator and other standard office machines.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Usual office environment. May be expected to work on weekends. Occasional travel is required.
Ability to work effectively in team environment. Ability to work under minimal supervision and demonstrate excellent organizational skills. Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
UTRGV is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to hire without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. UTRGV takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.