Human Resources Benefits Manager
Scope of Job
To manage the administration of all insurance, retirement plans, and leaves administration to the employees and retirees of UTRGV as well as plan/oversee payments relating to benefits for staff, faculty, retirees and vendors, as well as coordinate payroll garnishments.
Description of Duties
• Manages and administers insurance, retirement, leave administration and garnishment programs.
• Ensures university-wide compliance to state, coordinating board, UT System and federal reporting requirements.
• Responsible for administration of health benefits, retirement plans, leave administration, while acting as primary liaison with UT System, insurance companies, retirement providers and benefit vendors.
• Administers Family and Medical Leave Act , state Sick Leave Pool (SLP), and Short and Long Term Disability by interpreting and applying statutes and policies, reviewing applications, completing required documentation, and preparing all relevant correspondence, as well as calculating all leave taken through FMLA and/or SLP. Evaluates all medical supporting documentation for final approval of SLP.
• Makes effective and legally sound decisions for complex and sensitive leave related issues and offers creative and alternative leave solutions, as applicable, with diplomacy under tight deadlines.
• Communicates directly with all needed areas to follow up on cases where FMLA, SLP, and other leave is being utilized, allowing sufficient time before exhausting leave, should the employee be unable to return to work or returns to work with restrictions.
• Serves as a subject matter expert to management and university leaders in benefits, retirement and leave management and critical situations.
• Serves on System Wide Insurance Advisory Committee and Retirement Program Advisory Committee, as well as other committees as needed. Assists with benefit and retirement plan design and policy development.
• Oversees the preparation of disability applications for short-term, long-term and retirement and provides vendor with all required documents. Coordinates Family Medical Leave, sick pool and other leave benefits.
• Develops and conducts training and new hire orientation session regarding benefits, retirement and leave and other special events and trainings as needed.
• Provides interpretation and advice to ensure compliance with government regulations and plan provisions including but not limited to IRS and retirement plan limits, retiree return to work provisions, issuing of 1095C forms, FMLA, ACA, and sick leave pool.
• Manages leaves of absence without pay and retiree insurance self pay which including coordination of premium billings, receipt of payments, submission to vendors, and validation of payments.
• Supervises compliance with Maximum Exclusion Allowances for those employees who contribute to tax deferred annuity programs to insure compliance with Internal Revenue tax codes.
• Processes all death claims and assists beneficiary with claimant’s statement.
• Coordinates updates to benefits and their processing needed due to the Affordable Care Act and other legislation. Responsible for the implementation for all actions required by the Affordable Care Act and serving on the System wide committee.
• Supervises Benefits staff and coordinates hiring, training and performance.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
General direction from the assigned supervisor.
Direct supervision of all assigned staff.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited University.
Five (5) years of experience in benefits, retirement and/or leave administration, including managerial experience.
Experience obtained in Health Services, Higher Education, or entity offering Teacher Retirement System benefits Experience with TRS/ORP.
Use of standard office equipment. PeopleSoft experience is preferred.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Office Environment; some travel and weekend work is required.
Ability to work with a variety of people. Planning and organizational skills are a must.
UTRGV is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to hire without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. UTRGV takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.