Executive Director of Financial Operations for Richard Bland College
William & Mary, in coordination with Richard Bland College, is seeking a highly qualified, talented Executive Director of Financial Operations. This position will be based at Richard Bland College located in South Prince George, VA.
Reporting to William & Mary’s Chief Financial Officer, the Executive Director of Financial Operations at Richard Bland College is responsible for providing finance, budgeting, accounting and operational expertise to the staff of Richard Bland College (RBC).
The Executive Director is the primary point of contact with W& M offices and is responsible for ensuring RBC’s compliance with college, state and federal processes, financial policies and regulations, as well as the primary point of contact for the RBC president in the routine management of the college’s finances as well as long-range financial planning consistent with the RBC president’s strategic vision for the college.
Leading a staff of nine (9), the Executive Director ensures financial integrity, strong internal controls, regulatory compliance, and the accuracy and timeliness of all financial transactions and reporting at RBC. The position is also charged with Identifying, justifying and managing variances to budget to ensure that annual expenditures do not exceed available revenues.
The Executive Director serves as RBC’s primary finance representative to state executive and legislative agencies and serves as the campus liaison for state or federal audits.
Core responsibilities also include:
- Effectively manage the daily operations of key business functions, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, student accounting, procurement, banking and financial services functions.
- Ensures the college consistently meets or exceeds state management standards in the assigned areas of responsibility and advises W&M’s CFO and RBC’s president on regulatory issues impacting overall financial operations.
- Monitors RBC’s revenues and expenditures for consistency with the annual operating budget identifying any variances to budget and making recommendations to the RBC president for options to manage budget variances within available resources.
- Oversees the preparation of RBC’s financial statements and the statements of its affiliated foundation in accordance with W&M procedures and state, federal or other regulatory requirements.
- Works with the president and executive council to support the college’s long-range, strategic plans.
Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, finance or other related field, with substantive and progressively responsible experience and expertise directly related to the position.
- In-depth knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as promulgated by the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) and Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB).
- Strong working knowledge of federal and state regulations related to cost accounting, financial reporting, and taxes.
- Working knowledge of financial ERP systems.
- Strong leadership and supervisory skills with the ability to lead, manage and mentor staff.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills with the ability to work effectively within financial operations and collaboratively across a diverse campus community.
- Significant and progressively responsible experience at an institution of higher education in accounting, financial operations or a related field.
- Experience working with a financial Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system.
- Demonstrated supervisory experience.
- Master’s degree in business administration or related field is highly preferred.
- CPA or other related professional certification is a plus.
Working knowledge of Commonwealth of Virginia’s business processes and systems is highly desirable.
- Detailed experience with Banner ERP is highly desirable.
- Extensive experience in a management position at an institution of higher education in accounting or financial operations is highly desirable.
The College of William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
The College of William & Mary is committed to providing a safe campus community. W&M conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.