System Administrator (SAIL)
System Administrator (SAIL)
Requisition Number: STFR004328
Division/College: Information Technology Services
Location: Boston Main Campus
Full-time/Part-time: Full Time
The division of Information Technology Services is currently seeking a talented individual to fill the role of System Administrator. The System Administrator is a key member of a new high visibility initiative known as Student Assessed Integrated Learning (SAIL) at Northeastern University. He/she will maintain the cloud-based hosting websites/apps by identifying system requirements; monitoring system performance, and trouble-shooting issues. The System Administrator will be responsible for establishing and maintaining processes that ensure stable web and mobile environments and the availability of sites/apps functions and services. The System Administrator will have deep understanding of the underlying data structure and will be able to support data requests from business owners. This individual will participate in product development efforts and serve as a liaison between vendors and the university as well as a liaison between other initiatives around the University and the SAIL Initiative specifically . The System Administrator will engage in maintenance, quality assurance and customer support activities.
SAIL is an innovative mobile (iOS and Android) and web-based custom application under development to provide the technological foundation upon which the University seeks to evolve its experiential educational model to meet the needs of the 21st century. The app will enable a unique approach to education that allows students to manage their educational experience and connect with their peers.
The System Administrator's responsibilities include:
- Establishing Web system specifications by analyzing access, information, and security requirements; designing system infrastructure. Document system configuration, processes, and procedures.
- Maintaining Web system performance by performing system monitoring and analysis, and performance tuning; troubleshooting systems; designing and running system load/stress testing; escalating application problems to vendor. Upgrades Web system by conferring with vendors and services; developing, testing, evaluating, and installing enhancements and new software.
- Securing Web system by developing system access, monitoring, control, and evaluation; establishing and testing disaster recovery policies and procedures; completing back-ups; maintaining documentation. Working with Information Security Specialist for routine audit of the related systems.
- Working with development team to optimize the process to deploy application to each environment. Evaluate and propose new or improved system architecture.
- Providing administrative support and monitoring database systems. Writing scripts or using tools to extract data from the database or load data into the database as needed. Updating data or content to ensure the freshness of the web system.
To ensure that essential services are provided to the university community, the employee will be required to work outside their regular working hours as needed.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Math, Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field is required. Master’s degree in a related field is preferred.
- Exceptional communication skills including written, verbal and presentations
- Exceptional team player
- Exceptional technical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage various workload of projects with many priorities. Prioritization skills are key, as the nature of opportunity, urgency of need and size of the work rapidly change
- 3-5 years’ experience with production deployment, monitoring and alerting, performance and scaling, 1st tier issue response
- Experience with AWS services including but not limited to EC2, Elastic Beanstalk, Elasticsearch, RDS
- Experience with provisioning tool Terraform or Ansible
- Experience with mobile app development is plus
- Familiar with Postgres or equivalent database and ability to write SQL queries
- Experience with agile and scrum-based development methodologies
- Experience with Test-driven development and Continuous Integration
- Knowledge of system integration and web services is a plus
- Experience of working with design and development vendor is a plus
A criminal background check is required for this position.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: [email protected]
Northeastern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Educational Institution and Employer, Title IX University. Northeastern University particularly welcomes applications from minorities, women and persons with disabilities. Northeastern University is an E-Verify Employer.