Job Summary: Haverford College seeks to hire a full time, non-exempt, benefits eligible Sous Chef in Dining Services. The Sous Chef is responsible for assisting the Executive Chef in planning and execution of catering and resident dining production which includes exhibition style cooking.
Essential Functions & Primary Responsibilities:
- Responsible for coordination and execution of all catering production.
- Responsible for assigning and delegating work of the foodservices personnel including the training of the kitchen staff in food safety, food preparation, kitchen safety, and sanitation and customer service.
- Supervises and provides support to all food production staff to ensure that tasks are completed in a timely manner.
- Some menu planning, production record recording, ordering and inventory duties.
- Assists in waste management to optimize and reduced waste, impact to environment and profitability of the dining services.
- Works closely with students, faculty & staff to ensure an engaging experience at each and every meal. Supports the Executive Chef through other duties as assigned.
Education, Training, & Experience:
- Minimum five years ' experience supervising culinary teams that deliver varied menus for large numbers of guests i n multiple locations.
- Culinary degree preferred.
Well versed in sanitation procedures and safe food handling techniques.
ServSafe Certified and Allergen Trained.
- Must be well flexible and able to work in a fast paced customer driven environment with a diverse staff and guest base
- Must possess demonstrated creativity in presentation and culinary planning to drive increased guest satisfaction
Special Requirements: Includes early morning hours, evening hours, and weekends. A clear Motor Vehicle Record check is required.
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions Required of this Position
- Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one place to another):
- Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds) Up to three hours
- Light Lifting (10-20 pounds): Up to three hours
- Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds): Up to three hours
- Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds): Up to three hours
- Pulling (to exert force upon an abject to move or change its direction: three to six hours
- Pushing (to draw an object toward oneself to move or change its direction): three to six hours
- Carrying (to hold objects while moving entire body): three to six hours
- Reaching or working above shoulder (to extend arms upward or outward away from body): three to six hours
- Walking (to move entire body in erect position): six to eight hours
- Standing (to maintain body in erect posture in stationary position): six to eight hours
- Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs with legs bent at knees): Up to three hours
- Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while fully flexing knees): Up to three hours
- Kneeling (to maintain upper body in erect position while resting knees on ground): Up to three hours
- Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, inclined surfaces): Up to three hours
- Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain stationary): three to six hours
- Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor, forklift, etc.): Up to three hours
- Exposure Limitation (i.e., cold water, dust, gas, fumes, extreme temperatures): Up to three hours
To Apply: Please visit https://haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External/job/Haverford-Campus/Sous-Chef_R83-1. Please provide a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three (3) references. Please note that failure to provide the requested information may result in failure for consideration. The application deadline is Friday, February 9, 2018.