Hofstra University is a nationally ranked and recognized private university in Hempstead, N.Y. that is the only school to ever host three consecutive presidential debates (2008, 2012 and 2016). At Hofstra, students get the best of both worlds. Our campus is a leafy oasis just a quick train ride away from New York City and all its cultural, recreational and professional opportunities. We offer small classes and personal attention, with the resources, technology and facilities of a large university. Students can choose from more than 160 undergraduate program options and 165 graduate program options in the liberal arts and sciences, education, health professions and human services, the Peter S. Kalikow School of Government, Public Policy and International Affairs, the Fred DeMatteis School of Engineering and Applied Science, the Frank G. Zarb School of Business, the Lawrence Herbert School of Communication, the Maurice A. Deane School of Law, the Hofstra Northwell School of Graduate Nursing and Physician Assistant Studies, and the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell. Hofstra University is a dynamic community of more than 11,000 students from around the world who are dedicated to civic engagement, academic excellence and becoming leaders in their communities and their careers.
Hofstra University’s Office of Financial Affairs seeks a Senior Accountant. Responsibilities include but are not limited to the timely preparation and review of various reports, analyses and reconciliations of all general ledger accounts, and assisting with daily activities and special projects.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations, including all operating and payroll accounts and prepare adjustments as needed in coordination with department representatives.
- Compile, maintain, and analyze records for abandoned property liability and prepare annual state filing/submission of unclaimed property.
- Prepare monthly billings for miscellaneous receivables.
- Prepare monthly accounts payable reconciliation and ensure timely resolution of all items.
- Prepare monthly reconciliations of various prepaid accounts and ensure timely resolution of all items.
- Responsible for the monthly reconciliation of student meal plans, ensuring amounts due to third party are paid timely and accurately.
- Ensure all amounts recorded to the general ledger are in compliance with GAAP.
- Prepare and/or assist with any ad-hoc projects required by management
- Assist in preparing and obtaining support for internal and external auditors.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting required.
- Minimum 5 years’ prior accounting experience.
- Advanced proficiency in Excel and report writing required.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Exceptional analytical skills.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills with all levels of employees, including senior management.
- Knowledge of Banner by Ellucian financial systems
- MBA/CPA with knowledge of GAAP relating to higher education or non-profits strongly preferred
For consideration, please send, fax or e-mail a cover letter and resume, including salary history to:
Office of the Vice President for Financial Affairs
Hempstead, New York 11549-1280
Fax (516) 463-6870
e-mail: [email protected]
Hofstra University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering diversity in its faculty, administrative staff and student body, and encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community.