Faculty - Assistant Professor - Physics
Faculty - Assistant Professor - Physics
Position Category: Faculty - Tenure Track (FT)
The Utah Valley University (UVU) Physics Department (www.uvu.edu/physics) invites applications for an open rank tenure-track position in physics beginning July 1, 2018. The Department offers a bachelor's degree in physics. Applicants must show evidence of, or potential for, excellence in teaching across the physics curriculum at the undergraduate level. Candidates with an outstanding record of teaching and with proven success in any field of physics research will be considered, but preferential consideration will be given to those that can collaborate with current faculty in projects of mutual interest. Experience interfacing with engineering programs and with developing undergraduate lab curriculum is desired. A PhD in physics is required at the time of appointment. The teaching load is 12 credit hrs/sem. Small amounts of internal funding are available. The faculty hire is required to establish a viable research program involving undergraduates. Development of external support is strongly suggested.
Teaches 12 credit hours per semester, which may include any combination of courses listed in the UVU Catalog with a PHYS or PHSC prefix, including upper and lower division courses, general elective courses, college service courses, laboratories, and majors courses. Maintains a student-oriented, engaged approach to education. Participates in assessment, planning, implementation, evaluation activities, and educational workshops to advance instructional quality. Maintains and submits accurate and current reports and records involving student accountability, such as grades and other information that may include attendance, performance and outcomes. Demonstrates a strong commitment to student success both inside and outside the classroom, such as is evidenced by holding regular office hours, other student consultations, and mentoring of research students. Develops and maintains a robust, student-centered research program, resulting in presentations at local, regional or national discipline-appropriate conferences and/or publications in peer-reviewed journals. Develops funding resources for students from both internal and (preferably) external funding agencies and acquires other appropriate equipment and resources for carrying out research projects.
A PhD in physics is required at the time of appointment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must possess a broad and deep understanding of the fundamentals of physics at an advanced level sufficient to teach across the undergraduate physics curriculum, including the subjects of mechanics, wave mechanics, thermodynamics, electrodynamics, optics, quantum physics, and relativity.
- Possesses knowledge specific to a particular research discipline in physics sufficient to maintain a robust research program.
- Knowledge of educational “best practices” in teaching physics and other pedagogical methods.
- Knowledge of mathematics at the level of solving partial differential equations and performing vector calculus.
- Basic knowledge of computational methods.
- Basic knowledge of common experimental techniques in physics and an understanding of error analysis.
- Basic knowledge of how academic departments and programs function within the university and be knowledgeable about specific UVU institutions and policies related to the job.
- Common computer and communication skills such as are used in a modern office.
- Computational proficiency in any of a variety of computer languages or packages as appropriate to faculty specific disciplines.
- Skills in calculations appropriate for all levels of the physics undergraduate program.
- Problem-solving skills in both quantitative physics problems and in hands-on equipment usage.
- Must have the skill to organize and maintain a research program, including as appropriate, skills in electronics, machine tools, metrology, calculational, or theoretical methodologies.
- Must have the skill to create novel curriculum and presentation materials for undergraduates.
- Good classroom management skills in organizing and maintaining a disciplined course throughout the semester.
- Possesses the skills to explain complex physical ideas to those without a mathematical foundation.
- Possesses the skills to explain complex physical ideas with the use of appropriate mathematical models to those with advanced scientific backgrounds.
- Social skills and abilities to treat all students and university personal with respect, patience, kindness, and good humor.
- Ability to teach in an engaging, effective manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively both in writing and in speech.
- Ability to relate to students, faculty and staff in a caring and professional manner.
- Ability to have tenacity in working with difficult, long-term problems.
- Ability to create new opportunities for students by performing effectively in research and innovating new projects.
- Ability to solve problems effectively.
- Ability to analyze problems in a rational and objective way.
- Ability to engage the interest of coworkers and students alike in educational pursuits.
-Must show evidence of, or potential for, excellence in teaching across the physics curriculum at the undergraduate level. Candidates with proven success in fields of physics research that show collaborative potential with current UVU physics faculty will be strongly considered. Additional preference will be given to those with experience interfacing with undergraduate engineering programs and/or in developing and implementing undergraduate laboratories.
Work is normally performed in a typical classroom/office work environment.
UVU offers an excellent benefits package which includes a generous leave policy, 12 paid holidays, affordable medical and dental insurance options, life and AD&D insurance, tuition waiver (undergraduate resident) for employee and dependents and substantial employer contribution to a retirement plan.
Pay Range: DOQ
Advertisement Number: FAC18017 Physics Faculty
Open Date: 01/24/2018
Review Start Date: 02/28/2018
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicant: Priority consideration will be given to those applicants who apply on or before the “Review Start Date." This job advertisement may close at any time after the review date.
To apply, visit: https://www.uvu.jobs/postings/5495
Employment decisions are made on the basis of an applicant’s qualifications and ability to perform the job without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and over), disability, veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, or pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.