Dominican University of California is seeking an individual for a Controller position. The Controller serves as the chief accountant for the University, reporting directly to the Vice President for Finance and Administration. This position is responsible for the financial and accounting functions of the university, including internal and external financial reporting, as well as ensuring compliance with university financial and accounting policies and procedures as they apply to colleges and universities, and creating and maintaining effective internal controls. Additionally, the Controller is responsible for the coordination and compilation of our annual financial and credit related reports, footnotes and all disclosures.
The Controller ensures the monthly close deadlines are timely met, account reconciliation and supporting documentation is maintained for all activities and account analysis is performed. Responsible for preparation of various packages as requested and assists in various projects as requested. The Controller directly supervises the Assistant Controller, and oversees the Business Services Office including areas of purchasing, copy and mail services, student accounts management, payroll, accounts payable and accounts receivable.
The Controller will be charged with hiring, training, motivating and supervising the Business Services Office. There must be emphasis on teamwork, good communication and achieving departmental and university goals with a strong ability to supervise in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- Coordination and compilation of financial statements, including statement of cash flow, and related filings in compliance with GAAP, creditors, or other reporting requirements.
- Review monthly closing process and ensure accurate internal financial statement presentation and reporting, in a timely manner.
- Develop, plan, implement and administer departmental policies and procedures.
- Actively assist and participate in preparation, implementation, and control of the annual budget and monthly re-forecast/projections.
- Develop active and proactive business relationships, both internally and externally, to include but not limited to:
- Internal: Audit and Investment Committees of the Board, members of the executive team, and other University departments.
- External: Outside auditors, legal counsel, creditors, investment custodians, insurance brokers, cash and banking managers.
- Serve as advisor and agent for University departments to implement efficient accounting and financial policies and procedures, including desirable operational adjustments due to tax code revisions.
- Analyze and interpret financial data and prepare meaningful financial information for external, internal or credit purposes. Organize and present financial information to executive management.
- Actively recommend and implement ways to improve, streamline, and automate the current systems, financial results, and accounting processes.
- Review, evaluate, and recommend improvements to internal control systems and procedures.
- Audit work flow to assure that all accounting transactions are appropriately authorized.
- Supervise exempt and non-exempt accounting staff.
- Coordinate audit activities.
- Provide technical accounting expertise as required.
- Provide ad-hoc or special project reports as requested by Vice President for Finance and Administration or other executive management.
- Account for and prepare reports on University investments.
- Evaluate, and coordinate all cash management and banking services.
- Evaluate, and coordinate all insurance activities required for the university.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, financial management, or related field.
- Minimum five years of related work experience, including management experience.
- CPA certification.
- Proficiency in accounting/financial management principles, practices, and procedures.
- Demonstrate principles of supervision, including employee recruitment, training, development, and performance evaluation.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Highly motivated team player with solid technical accounting and multi-tasking skills.
- Ability to gain cooperation through discussion and persuasion.
- Ability to provide a service-oriented approach to clients, both internal and external.
- Master’s degree in accounting, financial management, or related field.
- Experience in higher education environment as well as non-academic setting strongly preferred.
- Prior experience with Great Plains financial applications.
- Proficiency in accounting/financial management principles, practices, and procedures as they relate to college and university environments.
- Knowledge of State and federal tax and regulatory codes relating to tax exempt entities.
Additional Position Information
- Open until filled
- Must be willing to consent to a background check
Dominican University of California is an independent, international, learner-centered university, offering both undergraduate and graduate programs. Dominican has a
1:10 teacher-to-student ratio, an average class size of 16, with a small-town feeling in a park- like campus. We blend interdisciplinary core courses, real-world studies, and small classes with close and supportive academic advising and mentoring.
- Link to apply: https://dominican.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/careers
- A cover letter is required
- Compile resume/CV and cover letter in one pdf document and upload in the Resume/CV section
- For further questions on the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Dominican University of California is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to excellence through diversity, and takes pride in its multicultural environment. We are committed in thought, word, and deed to recruiting and retaining a workforce that values the diversity of its student body. The University actively promotes an institutional culture that practices equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of all under-represented groups in higher education.