Associate Director, Teaching and Learning
This position is a core member of Achieving the Dream’s Teaching & Learning team and will help guide and accelerate evidence-based change at ATD institutions by managing various projects and assisting with the overall strategic messaging and marketing efforts of the organization. The position is responsible for managing programs and projects designed to build institutional capacity supporting intentional integration, professional development, and engagement of full-time and part-time faculty in fostering inclusive, student-focused college cultures. The incumbent is tasked with producing dynamic thought leadership around faculty engagement and professional development in order to accelerate and sustain better student outcomes at ATD institutions nationwide.
This position reports to the Director of Teaching & Learning, serves as a member of the Innovation team, and works collaboratively with other teams within ATD to ensure effective communication and collaboration across initiatives.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Support the Development of ATD’s Teaching & Learning Portfolio (45%)
- Support the strategic direction and implementation of teaching & learning services and support for the Network and the field.
- Promote ATD’s position as a thought leader on teaching & learning in higher education through the publication of blogs, grant-related publications, presentations, in-person and virtual learning events, and partnerships with other organizations in the field.
- Support the development and management of the implementation of robust tools, trainings, and events for Network colleges and the field.
- Research the needs of ATD Network colleges in building capacity in Teaching & Learning.
- Support the planning and execution of annual Teaching & Learning convenings and institutes.
- Develop, organize, and facilitate sessions on Teaching & Learning at the annual DREAM conference.
- Support the development and maintenance of partnerships with relevant organizations and vendors to further ATD’s work in Teaching & Learning.
- Work with other ATD teams to increase alignment and collaboration across ATD’s learning initiatives.
Manage ATD’s Teaching & Learning Programs (45%)
- Support the management of the Engaging Adjunct Faculty in the Student Success Movement Initiative and collaborate on related teaching & learning initiatives.
- Provide a faculty-focused perspective on all aspects of the initiative.
- Work to develop and synthesize policies and practices that engage full-time and part-time faculty as change agents in the community college student success agenda.
- Coordinate technical assistance throughout the grant period to ensure strong performance at participating institutions.
- Catalogue reports and evaluations.
- Coordinate professional and timely feedback to the colleges.
- Synthesize findings, draft compliance reports for investors, and work with the ATD communications team to share results widely.
- Coordinate the development, scheduling, and delivery of communications (email, social media posts, webinars, etc.) to grantees, grant partners, the ATD Network, and other project stakeholders.
- Schedule and support regular video- and/or tele-conference calls with grantees, funders, and partners.
- Assist in planning and provide on-site support to project-related events, including college site visits and other face-to-face convenings.
Additional Responsibilities (10%)
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree required, preferably in field related to education, social sciences, or public policy
- Minimum five years related experience, with some grants-management work; non-profit experience preferred
- Experience teaching at the college level required, preferably in a community college
- Demonstrated success at leading or supporting faculty professional development initiatives
- Must be very detail-oriented and organized; able to monitor and execute multiple projects at once
- Ability to work productively in both team and independent settings; ability to build strong and trusting relationships among ATD colleagues, external partners, and others to achieve buy-in and shared understanding
- Experience creating goals and action plans with measurable outcomes
- Strong oral communication and presentation skills with ability to communicate crucial information up, down and across
- Ability to write fluidly and for various audiences
- Exceptional customer service skills and professional demeanor with ability to manage work processes effectively and efficiently, and manage stakeholder expectations by clarifying assumptions at the onset of and during a project.
- Must be self-motivated and disciplined with capacity to be highly productive working under pressure and within time constraints
- Flexibility and a tolerance for ambiguity
- Microsoft Office skills and familiarity with Google Apps and mobile devices (iPad and smart phone), Canvas, Salesforce, Qualtrics and Blackboard
Position Type: Full Time, Exempt
Salary Grade: 6
Reports To: Director, Teaching & Learning
Work Location: Silver Spring, Maryland
Level of Travel Required: Moderate
Start Date: Immediately