To view the full job posting and apply for this position, go to: https://jobs.miracosta.edu
Discipline or Department: Fiscal Services
Position Type: Staff/Classified
Hourly Rate or Monthly Salary: Starting $81,494 per year ($6,791.17 per month)
Working Hours: One regular, full-time, overtime exempt position, 12 months per year, in the Fiscal Services Department on the Oceanside Campus. The person selected for this position will be subject to assignment to any district facility during any hours of operation.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Apply and submit application materials online at https://jobs.miracosta.edu. Once you are in the online application system, we strongly advise you to read the information on "How to Apply" and the FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) before starting the application process.
In order to be considered for this position, you must submit the following items:
1) Application for Classified Employment including your COMPLETE employment history and all experience relevant to this position.
2) Cover letter addressed to the "Selection Committee" describing how you meet each of the minimum and desirable qualifications.
3) Current resume.
4) Transcripts of college coursework which provide evidence of meeting the minimum qualifications. Legible unofficial copies are acceptable. If a degree(s) was earned, the transcripts must indicate that the degree was awarded. Any degrees/coursework used to meet this requirement must be from a postsecondary institution accredited by an accreditation agency recognized by either the U.S. Department of Education or the Council on Postsecondary Accreditation. Transcripts from a college or university outside of the United States must be accompanied by a detailed evaluation from a formal evaluation agency. A list of agencies can be found at http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl635.pdf.
5) Copy of your CPA certificate or license, if applicable. NOTE: When you "APPLY FOR THIS POSTING," you will eventually be asked to answer the additional question(s) listed below. Your answers will appear toward the bottom of the application form.
- MiraCosta College is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. Describe your own commitment to diversity and how you will meet the minimum qualifications of "sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic background of community college students."
- Please describe in detail your leadership experience in managing and overseeing the activities and operations of an accounting department including accounting/financial analysis and reporting. Include name of employer(s) and dates of employment.
- Please describe your experience selecting, training and evaluating department personnel. How many employees have you had direct supervision over and evaluated? Include name of employer(s) and dates of employment.
- Please describe your experience in providing highly responsible and complex accounting and financial professional support to your supervisor.
- Please describe how you plan, organize and direct fiscal record keeping to ensure financial control and successful audits. How do you ensure compliance for expenditures as they relate to legislative and District Board policies and procedures?
- Do you have working knowledge of PeopleSoft or a comparable financial information software system? If yes, list the system you have used, as well as what tasks you accomplished using this system.
The screening and interview committee will review application materials two to three weeks following the first review date. Applicants selected for interview will be contacted by phone; those not selected for interview will be notified by e-mail once interview candidates have been scheduled.
Offer of employment to the person selected for this position is contingent upon 1) successful completion of a pre-placement physical exam at district expense; 2) submission of a current tuberculosis (TB) test clearance; 3) proof of eligibility to work in the United States; and 4) fingerprint clearance.
Individuals with qualified disabilities who need accommodation with any aspect of the application and/or interview process should contact Human Resources at (760)795-6854 at least five days prior to the application deadline.
MiraCosta College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing an educational environment which affirms and supports diversity in its faculty, staff, and administration, and promoting an environment of inclusion.
Retired STRS members are not eligible for this position.
Basic Function and Other Details:
BASIC FUNCTION: Under the direction of the Director of Fiscal Services, provide leadership and direction to plan, manage, and oversee the activities and operations of the Accounting Department. Responsible for the disbursement and proper recording of District funds, preparation of financial statements, investment analysis and other external reports and claims. Manage accounting functions including maintenance of programs, grants, records, and ledgers in compliance with applicable rules, regulations, policies and procedures. Evaluate and monitor the adequacy and effectiveness of internal controls. Plan, coordinate, and execute the District's year-end close and the annual financial audit.
(E = essential job function)
1) Responsible for the functions of the Accounting Department including supervision of all District funds through accounts payable while maintaining internal controls to safeguard assets. Direct staff responsible for accounts receivable and billing for federal, state, and locally restricted funding and state-mandated programs. Monitor general ledger, account balances, and classification of expenditures; correct and prevent problems and make adjustments as required. (E)
2) Oversee the accounting and reporting for all grant and categorical expenditures and revenues. (E)
3) Coordinate and supervise the annual year-end close of the District's financial books. Act as the District's liaison for annual, interim, and special external and internal audits. Coordinate and/or prepare responses to audit findings, comments and recommendations from external auditors. (E)
4) Supervise the accounting staff in the processing, recording, and reconciling of a wide variety of financial data. Participate in selection of Accounting Department staff. Evaluate and review staff work for accuracy and compliance with District policies and procedures, state, federal and local applicable rules and regulations. Coordinate staff training and assign projects and areas of responsibility. Provide technical direction and guidance of accounting staff in developing solutions for complex accounting problems. (E)
5) Interpret and research laws, regulations, the state Education Code, and other regulatory compliance requirements pertaining to governmental accounting. Act as a resource to District staff by providing technical information on accounting related issues. Implement federal, state, and local guidelines for specially funded programs and operate in accordance with District policies and procedures.
6) Provide professional accounting support to the Director of Fiscal Services. Develop, coordinate, and/or oversee the preparation of periodic and special financial reports, financial statements, summaries, and projections for review by the Director of Fiscal Services prior to submission to the District's Governing Board, federal, state, or local agencies. (E)
7) Interface with information systems staff to maintain and update computerized system, through coordinating testing of data and providing operational feedback during system upgrades.
8) Perform related duties as assigned.
Type of Benefits:
Sick leave, vacation, and holiday pay; and full benefit package which includes employee and dependent medical and dental plans, $100,000 life insurance and income protection insurance, as well as membership in the Public Employees' Retirement System (PERS).
To be eligible for this position, you must meet and provide evidence of the following minimum qualifications:
1) Education equivalent to a Baccalaureate degree in a related field.
2) Two years of related work experience; one year of the required experience must have been in a supervisory role where you selected, trained and evaluated employees. (NOTE: a "year" is defined as equivalent to 40 hours per week for 12 months, or at least 2,080 hours.)
3) Valid California driver's license.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS: 1) Experience using PeopleSoft Enterprise Financial Management System or other comparable financial information system. 2) Accounting work experience in a community college/school setting, government agency, or other public entity. 3) Master's degree in a related field. 4) Possession of a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) certificate or license. 5) Proficiency using Excel and accounting software.
Licenses and Other Requirements:
First Screening Date: 02-11-2018
Human Resources Contact Information:
[email protected] or 760.795.6854
About MiraCosta College
The MiraCosta Community College District is one of California's 114 public community colleges. The district includes the communities of Oceanside, Carlsbad, Encinitas, Cardiff, Olivenhain, Leucadia, Solana Beach, Rancho Santa Fe, Del Mar, Carmel Valley, and parts of Camp Pendleton.
MiraCosta offers undergraduate degrees, university-transfer courses, career-and-technical education, certificate programs, basic-skills education, and lifelong-learning opportunities, as well as a Bachelor of Science degree in Biomanufacturing.
The district operates two campus sites and two centers, and offers a robust online education program. The Oceanside Campus, serving approximately 10,500 students, is located on a panoramic 121-acre hilltop site with views of the ocean and mountains. The San Elijo Campus is located in Cardiff, 17 miles south of Oceanside, and attracts more than 3,000 students. The Community Learning Center in downtown Oceanside hosts about 2,500 students in the college's noncredit programs including English as a Second Language, the Adult High School Diploma Program, and other tuition-free, noncredit classes. The Technology Career Institute (TCI) in Carlsbad is part of the college’s Career Education Department. It offers our local community members the opportunity to enhance their lives and their careers with low-cost, hassle-free classes, workshops, and programs, as well as certificate programs to train skilled workers in industries such as high-tech manufacturing, maritime technology, and emerging technologies. The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) located at the TCI provides resources, workshops, and leadership programs for small businesses and serves all of North San Diego and Imperial Counties. The Veterans Business Outreach Center (VBOC), also located at the TCI, provides entrepreneurial development services such as business training, counseling, and mentoring, as well as referrals for eligible veterans and military spouses owning or considering starting a small business enterprise in Santa Barbara, Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego and Imperial Counties.