Network Infrastructure Technician
The State University of New York at Fredonia is a comprehensive, selective, public, residential, liberal arts university located in beautiful Western New York, just minutes from Lake Erie. Founded in 1826, the university is among the most storied in the State University of New York system and is the first in the SUNY system to be awarded the SUNY Shared Governance Award. It is home to a world-renowned School of Music and over 100 degree programs in the liberal arts, natural and social sciences, education, mathematics, and business. Fredonia also features cutting-edge programs in the emerging fields of technology, service, and communication and is consistently ranked among the top public, master's granting universities in the North by U.S. News and World Report.
Fredonia is known for its strong academic programs, attractive architecture and grounds, rich campus life, and commitment to student engagement and success. Fredonia is focused on ensuring that all Fredonia students, utilizing knowledge developed through a broad range of intellectual experiences, will be:
- Skilled (develop Intellectual and Applied Skills, Literacies and Knowledge),
- Connected (engage Community and Diversity: Local Stewardship, Global Citizenship),
- Creative (demonstrate Scholarship, Artistry, and Innovation), and
- Responsible (activate Sustainability, Ethics, Leadership, and Professionalism).
Read a message from State University of New York at Fredonia's President.
The State University of New York at Fredonia is currently accepting applications for the position of Network Infrastructure Technician (Instructional support technician SL3) within Fredonia's Information Technology organization.
The Network Infrastructure Technician is responsible for effectively installing, configuring, and maintaining network hardware, switching software, and related infrastructure. Related infrastructure includes UPS systems and network managed PDU's for consistent power management. This position will coordinate the installation of fiber optic and data cabling across campus, ensuring proper labeling, installation, and adherence to standards.
The Network Infrastructure Technician will be involved with a variety of special projects and technical challenges on critical systems and will work both independently and as part of a skilled team. This position reports to the Manager of Network Design and Development.
Rewards & Benefits
- Competitive compensation plus comprehensive benefits plan including health, dental, and vision insurance and retirement plan options including a fixed pension plan or a 401(A) with generous employer contributions;
- Paid leave provisions including sick and holiday leave; impressive educational benefits including tuition-free study plus supplemental tuition aid;
- A rich array of services, programs and benefits to help employees advance in their career and enhance the quality of their personal life, including professional development programs and services, employee EAP and wellness programs, discounted membership to the on-campus fitness center, and access to the Campus and Community Child Care Center.
- Cisco network switching configuration, installation, standards based deployment and day to day troubleshooting of end user connectivity. Participate in design meetings with Fredonia networking staff, infrastructure services, and departmental IT staff to present and refine network designs for particular departments or buildings.
- Monitor network performance and troubleshoot problem areas as needed, utilizing diagnostic tools and techniques. Resolve incidents by replacing failed equipment, or implementing software upgrades or changes.
- Field contact for data wiring, equipment installation and service. Oversee data installation projects in concert with Fredonia electricians to ensure proper installation of infrastructure to meet networking standards. Review installation and cabling projects being conducted by outside contractors for major remodels and new construction for proper pathway installation, rack placement and support and for correct standard-compliant labeling of cables, jacks and patch panels on both fiber and copper. Support for the telecommunications rooms and fiber backbone connections through maintenance, labeling, and regular cleaning.
- Utilizing data jack labeling in all buildings and locations, coordinate proper network switch port labeling to maximize the effectiveness of location services such as LANsweeper and Cisco Prime.
- Survey existing building networking communications and provide data required to determine improvements needed to maintain building infrastructure standards with emphasis on data throughput and VOIP capabilities.
- Create a written maintenance and management plan for UPS and PDU devices and batteries. Install, specify, and repair UPS systems, PDU's, and appropriate power cables for all server and networking systems.
- Maintain networking power technical documentation, inventory, mapping, and distribution for UPS and PDU's. Assist with closet power consumption requirements and UPS scaling for chosen spaces. Work with the campus electricians to get emergency or house power where needed.
- Create and maintain technical documentation as it relates to networking equipment, and configuration, network mapping, device maintenance coverage, service records, and inventory.
- Provide network documentation, training, and guidance to campus constituents utilizing current campus knowledge base system.
- Utilize current ticketing system to best coordinate and communicate with campus constituents.
- Support the ITS Service Center in troubleshooting wired device issues that affect connectivity.
- Continued education as provided by ITS services, utilizing training opportunities to enhance knowledge and if applicable maintain certifications.
- Respond to trouble calls for networking issues on evenings and weekends when required to maintain connectivity for critical systems, including off peak hours and weekend work during patching and upgrades.
- Be aware of, understand, and follow all university policies.
- Bachelor of Science (4-year) degree from an accredited institution.
- 2 or more years of relevant work experience related to the duties described here.
- Possess a high degree of technical understanding and skills and knowledge of Cisco network administration and technologies including but not limited to, IOS, NX-OS and ISE.
- Understanding of network cabling systems including, but not limited to, twisted-pair, CAT5, CAT5e, CAT6, CAT6A, and both single-mode and multi-mode fiber optics.
- Hands-on experience deploying and administering the following: UPS systems, Power distribution, Networking equipment, Fiber optic and Copper data cabling.
- A willingness and ability to learn and implement new technologies.
- Demonstrated commitment and ability to work with a diverse group of students, faculty, staff and constituents in support of campus and department mission.
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds.
- Possession of a current, valid driver's license.
- Cisco certification at the level of CCNA or higher.
- Experience with VOIP systems.
- Electrical systems knowledge and effective administration of systems that distribute power and backup power.
- Expert knowledge of core routing and switching best practices.
- Working knowledge of firewalls, remote access, DNS, BGP, OSPF, VLAN, QoS, and DHCP.
- Experience using advanced network performance and test instruments, including Fluke OTDR and other fiber optic and data cabling testing tools.
This is a full-time,12-monrh, term appointed, permanent eligible position beginning April 2018.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Fredonia prides itself on an outstanding workforce. To continually support organizational excellence, the university conducts background screens on applicants.
An Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer, Fredonia provides for, and promotes, equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment, without discrimination.
Pursuant to University policy, the University is committed to fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff, and students, as well as ensuring equal educational opportunity, employment, and access to services, programs, and activities, without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, or domestic violence victim status. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the University community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law, or treated adversely or retaliated against based upon a protected characteristic.
The University's policy is in accordance with federal and state laws and regulations prohibiting unlawful discrimination and harassment. These laws include the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as Amended by the Equal Employment Opportunity Act of 1972, and the New York State Human Rights Law. These laws prohibit discrimination and harassment, including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested candidates shall apply and submit the required documents listed below by clicking on the APPLY NOW button. Complete applications received by 2/19/2018 will be given full consideration. Written reference letters, Names, and contact information for three professional references are required as part of the application.
- Cover Letter
- Proof of any current professional certifications in networking, electrical, or computing
Note: After submitting your Resume/CV, the subsequent page gives you instructions that enable you to upload the additional, required documents.