Director of Annual Giving - University Advancement
Job no: 493834
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Benefit Status: Benefited-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: University Advancement
Applications Open: Nov 22 2017
Applications Close: Open until filled
General Summary of Position:
Reporting to the Executive Director of Development, the Director of Annual Giving will provide leadership and management for the annual giving program to achieve the desired annual fundraising results for the University. The Director will oversee a comprehensive annual giving program inclusive of all solicitations, including direct mail, phonathon, email, crowdfunding and face-to-face meetings to expand donor base and increase dollars. The position will develop and facilitate a pattern of annual support for the University.
- Manage the Annual Giving team staff including: direct marketing, athletics fundraising, annual leadership giving and student/young alumni giving.
- Oversee the strategy and execution of direct mail, phone, e-mail and crowdfunding solicitations through targeted segmentations to achieve set annual goals for dollars and donors for the University.
- Oversee and execute annual fundraising strategies for key constituents; alumni, leadership giving, young alumni, faculty/staff, friends and parents. Develop innovative strategies to increase alumni giving participation, utilizing volunteers, communication platforms, and recognition programs.
- Work with colleagues to ensure a robust donor recognition program including recognition of leadership and loyal donors as well as general stewardship of all donors.
- Coordinate annual fundraising strategies with other department leaders in major gifts, alumni relations, communications, corporations/foundations, athletics and advancement services.
- Conceive, write and execute creative solicitations to engage constituents to give philanthropically. Oversee the development of solicitation letters and other marketing pieces to enhance solicitation and stewardship efforts.
- Develop collaborations and ideas for special fundraising projects to enhance donor count and fund university priorities.
- Develop measurable goals and metrics to routinely monitor the impact of annual giving activities on the success of donor acquisition and retention. Establish and maintain tracking and testing methods for all solicitation initiatives and adjust strategies based on results of data analysis.
- Provide leadership in the development of annual giving staff; support colleagues in efforts to exceed overall Advancement goals.
- Collaborate with other members of the University Advancement team.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Bachelor's degree required
- Minimum of 6 - 9 years relevant experience in annual giving fundraising, preferably in higher education
- Experience with direct marketing solicitation strategy
- Experience with face-to-face leadership annual giving solicitation
- Team player with top notch organizational skills and the ability to multi-task is essential
- Candidates must possess exceptional interpersonal skills to work with colleagues, donors and prospects
- Strong verbal and written communications skills are required
- Experience managing a phonathon program
- Budget Management
- Experience in higher education fundraising
- She/he will be comfortable working with a diverse group of constituents and the level of ambiguity that comes from a growing environment
- Masters degree preferred
- Experience in higher education preferred
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Three references will be required during the application process.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.