Director, CUNY Startups
CUNY Startups has been established as a university-wide initiative to assist students in starting their own businesses, creating jobs and stimulating small business growth in the City of New York. To do so, CUNY Startups runs an incubator/accelerator along with multiple hackathons and entrepreneurship competitions.
In partnership with the faculty and staff from the Field Programs at Baruch College, CUNY Startups will have as its primary objectives:
- Operate a business incubator/accelerator solely dedicated to students which will provide student entrepreneurs with a full range of mentoring services, office space and equipment, information technology, and working capital.
- Assist CUNY colleges in creating entrepreneurial programs, supporting existing programs and establishing their own campus centers for student entrepreneurship.
- Establish and work with a national network of angel investors, venture capitalists and other financial services organizations to invest in CUNY student businesses, support CUNY Startups operations and provide mentoring services to the student entrepreneurs.
This position reports to the Academic Director, Lawrence N. Field Programs in Entrepreneurship, Baruch College, Zicklin School of Business, and is responsible for the supervision of all administrative aspects of CUNY Startups.
Specific duties include:
- Direct daily operations of CUNY Startups.
- Manage and supervise all staff.
- Provide liaison, coordination and program planning with the Field Programs in Entrepreneurship including the Field Center and the Baruch Small Business Development Center.
- Develop and interpret reports - budget and programmatic - for all entities that oversee and provide funds to the CUNY Startups.
- Oversee the management and recruitment of potential incubator/accelerator students.
- Forge connections throughout CUNY by networking with the other CUNY schools.
- Develop and oversee incubator/accelerator cohort programming.
- Assist CUNY schools in creating entrepreneurial programs.
- Develop an Advisory Council and hold periodic meetings to gather input and provide updates on the CUNY Startups programs.
- Oversee existing CUNY-wide entrepreneurship-related competitions including the CUNY Hackathon, SmartPitch, etc.
- Network with key entities in the New York City entrepreneurial ecosystem including the NYCEDC, angels, accelerators, venture capital firms, corporations and foundations.
- Work with CUNY Central Office to develop and execute a fundraising strategy with the intention of creating a self-sustaining program.
- Pursue CUNY Startups objectives outlined above.
- Assist with strategic objectives of Field Programs in Entrepreneurship as requested by Academic Director.
- Undertake additional assignments and projects as they develop in the expanding activities of CUNY Startups including creation of innovative and collaborative activities within CUNY and with private sector partners.
- Bachelor's degree required; master's degree preferred
- Minimum of eight years' full-time work experience required, preferably in a managerial capacity
- Experience as an entrepreneur, working for an entrepreneurial firm, and/or deep knowledge of the entrepreneurial ecosystem required
- Excellent presentation and writing skills required
How to Apply:
Go to the CUNY website http://www.cuny.edu/employment.html to see the complete position description and job requirements in CUNYfirst under Job Opening ID #18134. You can view and apply for this job in CUNYfirst via the following direct link to the posting
Candidates should provide a resume and cover letter.
March 9, 2018
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.