The City Colleges of Chicago has opened the search for the president of Malcolm X College. Founded in 1911, the institution was the first of the city colleges and carried two earlier names before being named in honor of civil rights advocate Malcolm X in 1969. Located in the city’s West Side near the Illinois Medical District, the college is one of seven comprising the City Colleges of Chicago. The president of Malcolm X College reports to the Chancellor.
Malcolm X College is the city of Chicago's primary 2-year provider of training for health care professionals. A comprehensive offering of Associate degrees, certificates, professional and personal development, and GED/ESL programs prepare Malcolm X's 10,854 students for transfer, enhanced professional and technical skills, and immediate employment. The college's state-of-the-art School of Health Sciences opened in 2016 and features a simulation lab and virtual hospital. Malcolm X College also houses the City Colleges of Chicago School of Nursing. The college is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
The City Colleges' leadership team and the Malcolm X College community invite applications from a transformative team leader, team thinker, and team player. The president must bring a bold presence, high values, and a strong moral compass to the community. She or he will be a unifying force, building upon Malcolm X College's strengths while adhering to its core values of accountability, communication, community cooperation, diversity, integrity, learning, quality, respect, and service. The ideal candidate will address the expectations that follow:
- Student-centered commitment and understanding of recruitment, retention, and persistence;
- Knowledge of sound financial management, resource generation, and donor support;
- Experience in and broad knowledge of the health care industry;
- Knowledge of national higher education trends, college curricula, and accreditation procedures;
- Ability to create an inclusive environment, respecting a diverse population of faculty, staff, and students;
- Demonstrated awareness of and commitment to social justice;
- Support of professional development and appreciation for administrator, faculty, and staff contributions;
- Substantial skills to engage in an essential and strong shared governance process;
- Labor relations experience and respect for a collective bargaining environment;
- Bold advocate for the college while working effectively with the Chancellor and colleague presidents;
- Disposition and skills to collaborate with constituencies, including community neighbors, health care industry, business, higher education partners, and pre-K-12;
- Capacity to engender trust with excellent internal and external communication skills;
- Senior level administrative and/or teaching experience at an urban community college; and
- Advanced degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
NOMINATIONS AND APPLICATIONS
To assure best consideration, nominations and applications should be received by March 8, 2018. The application must include a letter of interest (not more than three pages); a current résumé (or curriculum vitae); and the names of five professional references with each person's position, office or home address, e-mail address, and telephone numbers. All applications will remain confidential pending the selection of finalists. The new president may assume office on or about July 1, 2018.
The search is being assisted by James McCormick and Janice Fitzgerald, Executive Search Consultants, AGB Search, firstname.lastname@example.org, 651-238-5188; email@example.com, 717-580-0663. Nominations and applications should be sent electronically (MS Word or PDF format) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional information about the City Colleges of Chicago and Malcolm X College may be found at www.ccc.edu.
The City Colleges of Chicago does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnicity, sex, age, religion, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, pregnancy, order of protection status, disability, genetic information, military status, or status as a member of any other protected class under federal, state, or city law.
Apply for PRESIDENT
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly