ASSOCIATE DEAN FOR ADMISSIONS
Job Description: Recruitment and training of capable and committed medical students is vital to meet the healthcare needs of North Carolina. Consistent with the Brody mission, special effort is made to recruit NC residents from diverse geographical, economic and racial/ethnic groups. The Associate Dean for Admissions is responsible for overseeing and administering all admissions programs for the Brody School of Medicine. Specifically, the Associate Dean:
- Manages the administrative, financial, personnel and logistical support for the Office of Admissions
- Develops and implements admissions policies
- Corresponds with applicants, coordinates interviews, and manages the overall admissions process.
- Interviews and/or meets all candidates for admission.
- Serves as chair of (and consultant to) the School of Medicine Admissions Committee.
- Provides advice and counsel to prospective applicants and unsuccessful applicants to medical school.
- Coordinates the use of the national medical school application in conjunction with the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS).
- Researches and oversees data and reports for applicable local, state, and national agencies on admissions activity, enrollment.
- Develops outreach and recruitment strategies and program development.
- Serves as liaison between collegiate pre-medical programs, Pre-Medical/Pre-Health Professions Advisors, and medical school admissions
- Makes regular recruiting trips to NC colleges and universities
- Coordinates visits to BSOM from undergraduate groups
- Works closely with the Office of Diversity and Inclusion to facilitate admission, enrollment, and retention of minority and disadvantaged students.
- Assists with BSOM "Summer Program for Future Doctors" and "Second Look Weekend"
- Engages in ongoing planning and continuous quality improvement processes to improve programmatic quality
- Ensures effective monitoring of Admissions program's compliance with accreditation standards.
- Organizes and conducts (with ECU School of Dental Medicine) annual Pre-Health Advisors Conference.
- Chairs Scholarship Committee and selects nominees for internal and external scholarships (including Brody Scholars, ECU Honors College, and early assurance.
- Coordinates enrichment activities of Brody Scholars and Early Assurance Scholars.
- Studies national trends in applications, keeps statistical information concerning applicants and matriculants, and similar types of research.
- Oversees the analysis of the qualifications of prospective students utilizing established admissions standards, guidelines, and criteria.
- Serves as a highly visible advocate and spokesperson for the School of Medicine and for medical students.
- Meets regularly with Education Deans and SOM Associate Dean for Diversity and Inclusion to ensure alignment of goals and priorities.
- Serves as an ex officio member of UME committees as appropriate.
This position will be a 1.0 FTE with 60-70% of time dedicated to the Office of Admissions and the remainder of time dedicated to a faculty appointment in the selected candidate's discipline.
Minimum Qualifications: Terminal Degree: MD, DO, or PhD A minimum of five years experience working in academic medicine.
Special Instructions to Applicants: East Carolina University requires applicants to submit a candidate profile online in order to be considered for the position. In addition to submitting a candidate profile online, please submit online the required applicant documents: Curriculum Vitae Letter of Interest List of Three References (noting contact information)
Date Initial Screening Begins: 09-06-2017
Job Close Date: Open Until Filled