Public Safety Assistant, Part-time
Irvine Valley College
Public Safety Assistant, Part-time (20 Hours/Week) (Two or More Positions)
Open until filled
Initial Screening Date 01/29/2018
PLEASE NOTE: In order to be considered for this opening, you must apply through the District website at https://jobs.socccd.edu
Under general supervision from the Chief of Police, performs a variety of clerical duties and specialized support for the Campus Police Department at an assigned campus; supports Front Counter operations providing a variety of information and assistance to students, faculty, staff, and the general public relative to assigned area of responsibility; receives incoming calls related to public safety matters from the campus community and the general public; supports the Campus Police Department in field assignments on foot or utilizing vehicles as necessary.
• Basic emergency procedures and proper radio communication procedures and rules.
• Office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and applicable software applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
• Basic report preparation.
• Principles and practices used to establish and maintain files and information retrieval systems.
• Basic principles and techniques used in public relations including methods and techniques of proper receptionist and telephone etiquette.
• Basic mathematical concepts.
• Work organization principles and practices.
• English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary.
• Learn and understand the organization and operation of the assigned program area as necessary to assume assigned responsibilities.
• Learn, understand, interpret, and apply general administrative and office policies and procedures.
• Learn geographic features and streets of the campus.
• Perform a variety of office support and clerical duties and activities of a general and specialized nature for assigned campus police office.
• Receive and appropriately respond to telephone calls for emergency service as needed.
• Effectively communicate with and elicit information from the general public.
• Operate two-way radio equipment to communicate with police station or other police personnel.
• Respond appropriately to the needs, requests and inquiries from students, staff, faculty, or the public; and effectively present information in person or on the telephone.
• Remain calm in emergency situations.
• Exercise good judgment and maintain confidentiality regarding critical and sensitive information, records and reports.
• Use sound judgment in recognizing scope of authority.
• Compile and organize data and information.
• Maintain filing systems.
• Plan and organize assigned work to meet schedules and changing deadlines.
• Learn to operate office equipment including computers and Live Scan device.
• Adapt to changing technologies and learn functionality of new equipment and systems.
• Work with and exhibit sensitivity to and understanding of the varied racial, ethnic, cultural, sexual orientation, academic, socio-economic, and disabled populations of community college students.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Education and Experience Guidelines:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying.
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
Some customer service experience is desirable.
License or Certificate:
License or Certificate: A valid California driver’s license and proof of insurability may be required for some positions to drive a District or personal vehicle to attend meetings or pick up/deliver documents or other materials.
Please visit the District’s Employment Opportunities website at https://jobs.socccd.edu for a detailed job description, to learn more about the District and to complete an on-line application.
NOTICE TO ALL CANDIDATES FOR EMPLOYMENT: The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, Public Law 99-603, requires that employers obtain documentation from every new employee which authorizes that individual to accept employment in this country. EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER