About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit http://www.mills.edu.
Reports to: Registrar
Supervises: Academic Records Specialist, Work-Study Students
Summary of Position
Responsible for managing the overall operations and functions of the Office of the Registrar and supervising the Academic Records Specialist and Work-Study Students. This position works closely with students, faculty and staff and responsibilities include, but not limited to, graduation review and degree audits, transcript evaluation, grades, study abroad, advising, and course schedule. The Associate Registrar oversees coordination of Commencement as related to the Office of the Registrar, including preparation of materials for the Commencement program, and other related tasks. Additionally, the Associate Registrar serves as Secretary to the Academic Standing Committee and administers its decisions.
The Associate Registrar also partners with the Registrar to provide support for new software and technology initiatives and implementations, such as identifying improvement opportunities for optimizing technology to enhance student services and streamline internal business processes, testing, functional support, and documentation.
Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Candidates with the expertise and experience to support the College's efforts to promote success for our Latina/o students effectively are encouraged.
Essential Job Function:
- Manage the daily operations and functions of the Registrar's Office.
- Ensure the security and accuracy of the student database and that the fullest functionality of the Ellucian Banner Student System is being utilized.
- Work closely with the Registrar, Enrollment Business Analyst and ITS to ensure that web development initiatives are consistent with and supportive of the overall technology strategy for the office and maintains continuous quality improvement.
- Manage production of the online Schedule of Classes, the academic calendar, and the College's on-line catalog; manage the editing and maintenance of Banner course information; ensure that curriculum changes and academic policy changes are implemented efficiently and accurately; planning and preparation related to registration and maintenance of student records.
- Manage training programs, presentations, and demonstrations of service technologies for staff and faculty.
- Oversee all end-of-term processing including grades and academic standing.
- Able to assist M Center units with troubleshooting, upgrade testing, and daily work during critical periods of high demand and to explore possible enhancements to these systems.
- Develops and maintains an overall working knowledge of the College's student operations and procedures and their impact on student systems.
- Chair, Co-Chair, or represent the Registrar's Office on appropriate campus-level committees and work groups; promotes existing and new programs and/or policies.
- Responds to complex student, faculty and staff questions and interprets policies related to course registration, grades, academic advising, academic regulations, major declarations, graduation requirements, class schedules and room assignments, course credit evaluation, transcript requests, cross-registration with other institutions, study abroad. Resolves issues and problems or refers to appropriate personnel to ensure the highest level of customer service.
- Selects, trains and supervises work-study students assisting with Academic Records work. Maintains written procedures.
- Oversees the Cross-Registration program by approving applications for incoming students, maintaining contracts as needed, corresponding with partner institutions, mailing transcripts, and transcribing grades.
- Manages extension unit transcription by corresponding with extension programs, coordinating approval for new programs and courses, transcribing student records and grades, and mailing transcripts. Maintain records for extension programs, provide transcripts, reconcile and deposit revenues
- Files regular student data reports to NSC, and responds to error reports. Assists with compiling data for external audits.
- Reports student enrollment data to the VA. Counsels VA students re: benefits and maintains files. Provides information requested by VA auditors.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience with Banner or other Student Information System (SIS) and relational databases.
- Ability to utilize SIS to implement policy and ensure data integrity.
- Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
- Ability to maintain SIS data integrity in relation to third party software such as degree audit program.
- Skill implementing and utilizing on-line degree audit reporting system.
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
- Ability to develop and maintain recordkeeping systems and procedures.
- Knowledge of the rules, regulations, and laws regarding student records, including FERPA and related data access issues.
- Knowledge of accreditation and certification requirements and standards.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of academic standards governing student probation, suspension, and/or expulsion.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Ability to develop, plan, and implement short- and long-range goals.
- Ability to interpret, adapt, and apply guidelines and procedures.
- Ability to make administrative and procedural decisions and judgments on sensitive, confidential issues.
- Ability to train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- An interest in promoting women's education and leadership is desirable.
- The ability to work effectively as a member of a team and with individuals and groups in a diverse, multicultural environment.
- The ability to meet deadlines and handle multiple tasks simultaneously is required.
- Evening and weekends as necessary.
- Bachelor's degree with 3 to 5 years' experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.Master's degree preferred.
This is an exempt, full-time position. Salary is commensurate with experience and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance/403(b) retirement plan, 22 days of vacation, 12 sick days and 10 paid holidays annually. Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period. Pet insurance, long-term care insurance and legal-assistance insurance are available as voluntary benefits.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to http://www.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php
To apply, please submit the following at http://mills.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=93597
- cover letter with salary requirements
- completed Mills Application
- contact information for three references