Assistant Football Coach
Assist the Head Coach with managing and supervising the day to day operations of the athletic team, including teaching, coaching, fund-raising activities; provide leadership and support for the vision and strategies of the Head Coach.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree required. Will be required to pass the NCAA off campus recruiting exam. Have the ability to work well with students, faculty, community, and media. Requires good interpersonal skills, organization skills, leadership skills, and good writing and presentation skills.
• Negotiate scholarship offers to prospects under the direction of the head coach.
• Coordinate and oversee the recruitment of student-athletes.
• Prepare and distribute recruiting information.
• Attend off-campus games for the purpose of evaluation and contact when appropriate.
• Make phone contact with prospective student-athletes when appropriate.
• Plan campus visits with prospective student-athletes and their parents.
• May serve as a recruiting coordinator as directed by the Head Coach.
• Scout future opponents by film, watching games and/or telephone reports.
• Provide consultation and expert advice to head coach and team members.
• Prepare, plan, conduct, and evaluate practice sessions as directed.
• Teach individuals and groups of players specific tasks and skills before, during and after practice, during season and off-season.
• Serve as a mentor to athletes, helping resolve academic and non-academic issues.
• Be available to coaches and players before, during and after practices, games, and events.
• Be knowledgeable of the rules and fundamentals of the respective sport.
• Coach specific units as directed by the Head Coach.
• May serve in a coordinator role.
• Teach advanced level skills and game strategies.
• Plan long and short term objective under the leadership of the head coach.
• Assist in the establishment of requirements for team members in terms of academic and athletic progress.
• May serve as the academic liaison for the team.
• Assist in the discipline of student-athletes.
• Coordinate recruiting efforts with the Athletic Academic Services Staff.
• Coordinate scholarships with the Athletic Compliance Staff.
• Assist in the management of the budget if applicable.
• Assist in the coordination and management of team travel if applicable.
• Assist in the completion of all necessary compliance documentation under the direction of the compliance office.
• Serve as guest speaker at public events on behalf of MSU Athletics.
• Recommend policies and procedures for the student-athlete handbook.
• Serve in a leadership role and promote participation in community service activities by student-athletes.
• Assist in the formulation of team and department fund-raising activities and promotional events.
• Coordinate community service and MSU athletics-to-school programs under the direction of the Marketing and Promotions Office.
• Administer day-to-day operations and staff of summer athletic camps and other “reach out” programs for school aged children, as directed by the head coach.
• Be knowledgeable of NCAA and OVC rules.
• Assist in planning a competitive schedule if applicable.
• Other duties as assigned.
• As a member of the Murray State University Athletic Department, you shall comply with all applicable NCAA rules and regulations as provided in the NCAA Division I Manual. If you are found in violation of NCAA regulations, you shall be subject to disciplinary or corrective action as set forth in the provisions of the NCAA enforcement procedures, including suspension without pay or termination of employment for significant or repetitive violations.
Preferred: Master’s degree preferred. Previous collegiate coaching experience preferred.