Chemistry Instructor (Reedley College)
Chemistry Instructor (Reedley College)
State Center Community College District
Closing Date: 3/14/2018 at 11:55 PM
Campus Location: Reedley College
Start Date: 08/09/2018
The ideal candidate will share Reedley College's (RC) commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. We currently enroll over 10,000 students of which 71% are Latinx, 1% are Filipino, 3% are Asian, 2% are African American, 19% are White, and 2% are multiracial. RC is a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community. The successful candidate will join a department dedicated to the use of curriculum responsive to the students it serves.
Providing instruction in Chemistry on the Reedley College campus and/or at off-site locations, the instructor will be responsible for teaching both lecture and laboratory classes in introductory, general and organic chemistry, including but not limited to:
- Teaching the principles and applications of chemical instrumentation;
- Maintaining instruments used in teaching chemistry;
- Working in collaboration with discipline colleagues to optimize lab and lecture schedules for students;
- Developing and/or revising curriculum and programs, including program review and developing and accessing student learning outcomes for courses and programs to improve student learning;
- Participating in the accreditation process;
- Communicating effectively with students and staff and maintaining effective working relationships;
- Developing and/or utilizing technologies for classroom presentations;
- Advising students;
- Teaching dual-enrollment courses at local schools;
- Participating in appropriate professional meetings and workshops;
- Working with colleagues within and beyond the discipline to implement the guided pathways concept to promote student success and completion;
- Participating in student recruitment activities;
- Teaching assignments in a variety of instructional settings and times, including evenings and/or weekends, on-line or off-campus and large group instruction classes as needed; and
- Otherwise fulfilling all of the duties and responsibilities of instructors as required by Administrative Regulation 7122.
- Master’s in chemistry;
- Bachelor’s in chemistry or biochemistry AND master’s in biochemistry, chemical engineering, chemical physics, physics, molecular biology or geochemistry;
- A valid California Community College Credential;
- The equivalent education and/or experience (requires an equivalency).
- Evidence of ability to provide quality instruction at the community college level with an emphasis on introductory level college chemistry courses;
- Broad based academic preparation in chemistry;
- An understanding of current chemistry research trends and/or methodology;
- Related work experience;
- Knowledge of current laboratory safety practices and procedures;
- Familiarity with current educational technology and multimedia presentation software;
- Commitment to professional growth;
- Demonstrated willingness to improve teaching methodology and continuous quality improvement;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing;
- Recent experience working with African American, Latinx, Native American, and other racially minoritized students in the classroom and an understanding of how historical patterns of exclusions of these groups in higher education shape patterns of participation and outcomes;
- Willingness to examine and remediate one’s instructional, relational, and classroom practices to more effectively engage and support racially minoritized students;
- Experience and skill with addressing issues of equity in the classroom;
- Potential for contribution to institutional vitality and growth; and
- Knowledge of the community college and its mission and goals.
Conditions of Employment:
177 duty days.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is $54,029 - $81,342 based on education and experience. A doctoral stipend of $2,021 is available. In addition, the District offers an attractive fringe benefit package including medical, dental, and vision coverage for the employee and dependents, and life insurance. Employees are also members of the California State Teacher’s Retirement System (CalSTRS).
Applications will be screened to determine which applicants meet the minimum qualifications as stated in the job announcement. From the applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and who have submitted all the required documents, a selection committee will determine the candidates who are best qualified based on the minimum and desirable qualifications. They will be invited to interview. The selection committee will rate responses to the interview questions, teaching demonstration, and writing prompt (if applicable). Based on this rating, a small number of applicants will be selected as the “recommended candidates”. These candidates will be forwarded to the Vice President of Instruction and College President for final interviews. A hiring recommendation will be made by the College President and forwarded to the Board of Trustees of State Center Community College District for final approval. State Center Community College District is an equal opportunity employer. It is our pledge to treat all applicants fairly and equitably in the recruitment and selection process. We endeavor to be a service-minded organization and respond to the needs of our applicants. For more information, contact the Academic Human Resources Office, 1525 E. Weldon Avenue, Fresno, California, 93704, (559) 244-5900. For information on Reedley College or State Center Community College District, visit our website at www.scccd.edu. Please refer to Position No. 3704. Submission of application and related materials is the applicant’s responsibility and must be submitted through the district’s online applicant portal. The District reserves the right to re-advertise or to delay indefinitely the filling of a position if it is deemed that the applicants for the position do not constitute an adequate applicant pool or if funding is not available. All application materials are subject to verification. False statements may be cause for disqualification or discharge from employment.
This is a full-time, tenure track position.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: www.scccd.edu