Director of Learning Services
MMCC seeks individuals who: value collegiality and mutual respect; use data in decision making; are innovative; are service minded; are goal oriented; strive to continually improve themselves and their work processes; are willing to collaborate and seek to add value in every interaction.
The Director of Learning Services serves on the Academic Administrative team and is responsible for planning, leadership, collaboration, supervision, and evaluation of comprehensive learning support services at the College, including: the Writing & Reading Center, Math Lab, Science Center, Testing Center, Supplemental Instruction Program, Tutoring Program, and International Student Support. The Director hires, trains, supervises, and evaluates Learning Services staff, providing ongoing professional development opportunities and performance feedback, to ensure institutional priorities and the department’s mission and goals are met.
Review of applications will begin on February 9, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled.
Interested candidates should, as part of the online application process, upload a resume, a cover letter addressed to the Director of Learning Services Search Committee, and the names and contact information of at least three professional references familiar with the candidate’s knowledge, skills, and abilities as outlined in this advertisement.
- Provide strategic planning, management and supervision, and program advancement for all learning support services areas including: off campus, Dual Enrollment, and on-line courses. Identify and measure learning outcomes to evaluate impact and effectiveness of programs/initiatives/interventions, communicate data with stakeholders and faculty, and engage in continuous quality improvement.
- Direct the Supplemental Instruction Program on both campuses, adhering to the core principles of SI established by the International Center for Supplemental Instruction.
- Collaborate with Lead Faculty in English and Math to coordinate the staffing and scheduling of Writing and Reading Center and Math Lab on both campuses. Provide administrative support and oversight for WRC and Math Lab.
- Coordinate Science Center and individual tutoring services on both campuses. Develop and implement comprehensive training program that meets the College Reading & Learning Association’s Level 1 certification requirements.
- Facilitate training opportunities in sheltered-content instruction strategies for LUCES Academy faculty. Collaborate with LUCES Coordinator to review faculty lesson plans and materials, observe instruction, and provide constructive feedback to promote student learning and success.
- Assist Director of International Programs and Inclusion with international support service programming, including: assessment, placement, orientation, and co-curricular activities that support students’ language acquisition and acculturation.
- Lead and supervise the Testing Center in order to promote best practices in the delivery of quality test administration services. Adhere to National College Testing Association standards and guidelines.
- Participate in a variety of institutional/shared governance committees to promote cross-functional collaboration/partnerships in support of student learning, persistence, and retention.
- Establish Learning Services Advisory Board and facilitate quarterly committee meetings. Collaborate with Advisory Board members to identify student learning needs and implement, assess, and improve innovative learner-centered initiatives, programming, and services.
- Publicize Learning Services programs and services to increase institutional awareness and engagement.
- Manage the Learning Services budget and effectively allocate resources to meet needs of student population. Seek external funding opportunities and technologies to support sustainability of programming.
- Engage in ongoing research and professional development activities, contributing both to academic quality at the College and to field of learning assistance.
- Develop and disseminate annual report, utilizing quantitative and qualitative information/data, providing evidence of achievement of program/services and student learning outcomes, and highlighting significant achievements/contributions of Learning Services to institution.
- Support and serve as a role model for institutional mission, vision, values, and customer service initiatives. Adhere to the organization’s policies, procedures, and compliance guidelines and administer policies and procedures appropriate to the department.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledge of issues, trends, theories, research, and methodologies related to student learning and retention.
- Understanding of and sensitivity to faculty, staff, and students from diverse populations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate well, both verbally and in writing. Ability to present key issues, supply or seek information, obtain support for initiatives, advise others, and address and resolve conflicts effectively.
- Strong facilitation and management skills.
- Ability to think critically, use sound judgment, and problem-solve.
- Ability to effectively manage time, resources, and competing priorities.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in communications and records as delineated by privacy laws.
- Computer skills including word processing and data entry; creation and management of spreadsheets, ability to use and/or learn enrollment management software.
- Strong detail orientation.
- Commitment to supporting the MMCC mission.
Education, Certification, Licensure:
- Master’s degree required
- Graduate coursework in education, student development learning assistance, developmental education, and/or curriculum design preferred.
- Three to five years of experience in post-secondary education learning assistance preferred.
- Previous college-level teaching and/or faculty or staff development experience preferred.
- Previous experience working in a community college environment preferred.
Apply for Director of Learning Services
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly