Dean of Business and Professional Studies
MMCC seeks an individual who values collegiality and mutual respect; uses data in decision making; is innovative; is service minded; is goal oriented; strives to continually improve them self and their work processes; is willing to collaborate and seeks to add value in every interaction.
This individual in this position is responsible for providing leadership, management, and direction for the Business and Professional Studies disciplines and programs. Primary duties include budget planning and management, supervision and evaluation of faculty, as well as strategic and operational planning. The individual in this position is also responsible for working with four-year partners to ensure transferability of programs, where appropriate. Supervises faculty and staff in Accounting, Business, Computer Information Systems, Economics, Entrepreneurship, Criminal Justice/Law Enforcement, Business Communications, and Education. The Dean is also responsible for working with the shared governance committee chairs for leadership and guidance for those committees. The Dean is also responsible for working with four-year partners to ensure transferability of programs.
Review of applications will begin on February 9, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled.
Interested candidates should, as part of the on-line application process, upload a resume/vitae, a cover letter addressed to the Dean of Business and Professional Studies Search Committee, and the names and contact information of at least three professional references familiar with the candidate’s knowledge, skills, and abilities as outlined in this advertisement.
- Engages faculty and other key stakeholders in both long-range and operational planning.
- Supports implementation, promotion, and compliance with the College’s commitment to student success.
- Applies best practices in student persistence and completion consistent with the goals of the College.
- Provides sustained leadership in a rapidly-changing academic environment with competing priorities. Works collaboratively with other administrators and staff to offer effective services to students.
- Hires, supervises, and evaluates faculty and other staff in departments of responsibility. Collaborates with faculty and staff on their annual goals and professional development.
- Evaluates and makes recommendations on the need for faculty and staff positions as program and enrollment needs dictate in order to maintain appropriate, effective, and efficient staffing levels.
- Supervises programs using sheltered instruction observation protocol (SIOP).
- Develops the course schedule for the Business and Professional Studies division and monitors the work loads of full- and part-time faculty, including both their teaching and non-teaching duties.
- Develops and oversees the annual budget for areas of responsibility.
- Collaborates with faculty on curriculum review and assessment of student learning outcomes. Recommends curriculum modifications, elimination of courses/programs, and the development of new courses/programs. Prepares reports on departmental performance and student assessment. Assists faculty with the preparation of documentation required by Curriculum and Academic Standards Committee.
- Champions and provides leadership within areas of responsibility for the College’s quality improvement
- Serves on relevant committees and teams both within the academic division and college wide.
- Represents the College on relevant state-level committees and task forces. Serves as a public and internal champion of the College and the Business and Professional Studies disciplines.
- Develops and sustains strong relationships with other members of the educational community including K-12 and universities including Dual Enrollment. Develops articulation agreements and monitors changing transferability of courses and programs within the Division.
- Participates in accreditation and reaccreditation activities, both at the program and college levels.
- Manages and resolves student concerns
- Makes administrative decisions consistent with the provisions of the Master Agreements with the Faculty Senate/MEA and ESPA.
- Reports to the Vice President of Academic Services, serves on the academic leadership team and takes an active leadership role within the division and the College.
- Supports and serves as a role model for our mission, vision, and values. Adheres to the organization’s policies and procedures, and compliance guidelines.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Broad knowledge of disciplines and programs, issues, trends, theories, and research represented in the Division.
- Understanding of and sensitivity to faculty, staff, and students from diverse populations.
- Effective leadership skills and abilities to marshal resources in the accomplishment of unit goals and objectives.
- Ability to think critically, use sound judgment, and problem-solve
- Written and computer skills necessary to prepare required documentation and reports.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to effectively communicate, verbally and in written form, with various constituencies, including students, faculty, administrators, business and industry representatives, and community members from diverse populations. The incumbent is also required to handle problem situations in a tactful, courteous, and respectful manner.
- Organizational and time management skills to manage and oversee multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in communications and records as delineated by privacy laws.
- Ability to properly delegate duties and provide appropriate expectations in a clear manner.
- Familiarity with specialized accreditation required.
- Collaborate with members of the Business and Professional Studies division and other divisions within academics and across the College.
- Ability to advocate for all programs within the Division.
Education, Certification, Licensure:
- Master’s degree in related field represented in the Division of Business and Professional Studies required; PhD preferred.
- 3+ years of leadership experience required.
- Previous teaching and/or administrative experience at the college level required.
- Experience working with computer software (i.e. MS Office, Excel, and performance and learning management database applications) required.
- Experience and commitment to online learning preferred.
- Program development experience preferred.
- Experience working with internal and external stakeholders preferred.
- Community college experience preferred.
Apply for Dean of Business and Professional Studies
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly