Director, Export Control And Conflict of Interest
Are you an authority in the area of export control and conflict of interest? Do you thrive on being a resource for faculty, staff and students? Do you have a desire to lead educational programs that communicate expectations and provide support for the broader campus community and researchers? Finally, are you a natural collaborator that can serve as a liaison to ensure the university’s compliance with applicable regulations?
Carnegie Mellon University’s Office of Research and Compliance (ORIC) is searching for a Director of Export Control and Conflict of Interest. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who thrives in an interesting and challenging work environment. You will be responsible for building upon existing compliance practices implemented by ORIC, with a primary responsibility of handling the University’s compliance with export and conflict of interest (COI) laws, regulations, and policy.
Skills and Abilities:
- In-depth knowledge of the laws, regulations and industry standards for export control and conflict of Interest. Demonstrates strong strategic decision-making skills; ability to translate short and long-term goals into plans of action;
- Has knowledge of and ability to assess the culture of the university and the needs of the various constituencies both internally and externally;
- Has strong leadership skills and the ability to interact or facilitate interaction with government and regulatory agencies;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.Adept at delivering formal presentations to key audiences; ability to both inform and persuade audiences;
- Excellent analytical, organizational, reasoning and problem solving skills;
- Ability to quickly analyze large amounts of facts and data in order to generate alternatives and timely solutions;
- Ability to train others in a clear and concise manner to promote understanding of new information;
- Ability to maintain a high degree of integrity and confidentiality.
You should have strong attention to detail, ability to meet inflexible deadlines, work under pressure with frequent interruptions, and remain calm during difficult situations. Adaptability, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within ORIC. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through his/her work.
Some evening and weekend hours may be required; some travel required attending conferences, seminars and CMU locations (in and out of Pittsburgh area).
- Graduate degree or JD highly desired.
- Minimum five years’ experience in export control and conflict of interest required.Specifically, experience in contract review for export control clauses; materials, equipment and software classification and jurisdiction determinations for technology, products; technology control programs; restricted party screening and conflict of interest analysis and management.
- Minimum two years’ experience in an academic/university environment required; experience in a research university highly desired.Leadership experience highly desired.