Business Office - Assistant Controller
Under the direction of the Senior Controller, the Assistant Controller will be responsible for the following:
- Supervise the accounts payable and general accounting functions of the Business Office to ensure that the university’s resources are expended in accordance with appropriate guidelines and financial activity is recorded in an accurate and timely manner.
- Directly supervise two full-time employees
- Administer government grant financial activity and compliance
- Oversee the accounting for the auxiliary operations, and administer the SupplierPay program which processes vendor payments by credit card.
- Work closely with the Purchasing Department in managing the university purchasing/travel card program and support departments requiring payment to foreign visitors
- Produce reports and complete financial surveys.
- Ensure that monthly feeds and entries are recorded correctly and in timely manner
- Manage and accurately account for mortgage loan program for employees
- Communicate policies and procedures with all campus departments
- Administer calendar year end reporting obligations for 1099 tax statements and statements of mortgage interest
- Assist in fiscal year end closing and preparation of annual financial statements and related audit.
- Expected membership with and dedication to the NCAA compliance team and related activities that support the University’s adherence to the rules that govern such in relation to NCAA regulations.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field.
- 3 or more years of progressively responsible accounting and managerial experience and demonstrated knowledge of accounting principles.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills with demonstrated ability to communicate professionally and effectively with multiple constituents.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks within tight time-frames and simultaneously manage several projects within or in advance of stated deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct complex financial analysis and use financial systems and information, MS Office Word and Excel. Experience working with Colleague, or similar enterprise accounting system.
- Accepts responsibility for quality of his/her own work, acknowledges and corrects mistakes.
- Shows up on time, meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.
- Must maintain confidentiality.
- Must be capable of working collegially with a diverse group of faculty, staff and students.
- CPA certification or Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field.
- Work experience a higher education or similar business setting.
- Work experience in accounts payable, grant administration or investment accounting.
Interested applicants must apply online at http://employment.stlawu.edu uploading all required materials which are defined in the “special instructions to applicant” section. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the finalist successfully passing a background (including criminal records) check.
St. Lawrence University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For additional information about St. Lawrence, please visit http://www.stlawu.edu.