This advanced-level position supports the strategic public relations and communication goals of the university. The communication Professional III develops complex and sophisticated forms of communication through a variety of means such as articles, news, releases, media pitches, ad copy, marketing copy, speeches, statements, letters, memos, reports, and other forms of communication aimed at garnering media coverage of events, programs and activities at KSU as needed by the department or unit. The position proactively mines programs, faculty, and students for news and feature articles that promote academic excellence at the institution. The Communication Professional III responds to public and media requests for information, or guides the public and media to the appropriate spokesperson or representative, and maintains a database of media contacts. The productivity level, volume of work, and enterprising nature of this professional position requires high output and little or no supervision.
We seek an experienced, self-motivated PR Specialist to join our team of professionals working to promote Kennesaw State University and its colleges and departments.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop written content including but not limited to press releases, media advisory, feature stories, social media, marketing copy, talking points and other forms of communication to help promote the university;
- Proactively identify and develop story ideas (student and faculty successes, college/university initiatives, research, etc.) by building relationships with colleagues from the various academic and administrative units; and
- Provide strategic public relations counsel and serve as liaison between colleges and central communications office; Assist in the development and enhancement of the annual communications strategic plan.
Video experience a plus (shooting and editing).
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Bachelors degree in communications, journalism, public relations or a closely related field in addition to 4 years experience in a Journalism or Public Relations background;
- Strong knowledge of Associated Press Style Ability to work independently, make decisions and multi-task to balance multiple priorities;
- Must be a very strong writer with experience writing for the media, or in a public relations capacity;
- Strong project management, organizational and interpersonal skills; and
- Excellent computer skills and ability to utilize a variety of programs, including Microsoft Office suite and the current version of the Macintosh computer operating system.
Please attached writing samples in addition to a cover letter and resume as part of the application process.
Minimum hiring salary: 47,476
Kennesaw State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and/or veteran status.
Bachelor's degree in related field and 4 years experience in a Journalism or Public Relations background.