Research Assistant (Clinical Pathology Laboratory)
General Description of Position: Kansas State Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory is seeking applicants for a Research Assistant. This position will perform tests in the Clinical Pathology Laboratory; perform clinical analyzes on animal body fluids and tissues, interpret and report results, and maintain the quality system through document reviews, trend analysis for all tests as well as corrective action reports and ensuring the quality of test results. The expectation is to have flexible work hours when
demand/program requires it and a responsibility to our Quality Program. Diversity and Inclusion: Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks candidates whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's commitment to the Principles of Community. Job Description:
- Validation of new tests: The validation will include mainly tests that are commercially available but new to the clinical pathology lab. The validation process will include all the validation steps required from the time a new test/instrument are introduced to the clinical pathology lab and till this test is available for diagnostic samples. The process will follow the validation SOP and will include being responsible for getting hold of the samples needed for the validation process, running the tests required, documentation of the whole process, connecting out sources by need, writing SOPs and taking care of other documentations needed for this process.
- Assay quality control sera and monitor results to verify adequate precision of methodology, reagents and instrument functions, monitor test reports for transcription errors to insure that correct data for diagnosing or monitoring patient status is reported.
- Maintain and calibrate instruments daily to insure accurate consistent operation of equipment and to promote increased instrument life span; process is achieved by following instrument manufacturer's suggested guidelines and/or laboratory maintenance charts. Correct instrument malfunctions within reasonable expectations of training capacity to ensure return to continuous operations yielding accurate and precise results and to avoid down time and costly back-up. Troubleshoot instrument and reagent problems to determine cause of malfunction or poor testing results.
- Organize and perform testing to comply with the sample priority schedule to maximize testing efficiency and accuracy.
- Receives requests and processes laboratory samples according to laboratory protocol, assists clients via phone, email and fax concerning testing questions, and result interpretation.