Vice President for Academics
Presentation College, located in Aberdeen, South Dakota invites nominations and applications for the position of Vice President for Academics (VPA). The VPA serves as the Chief Academic Officer of the institution, reports directly to the President, is a key member of the College’s administrative leadership team, and is responsible for all undergraduate and graduate instructional programs.
In leading the Office of Academics, the VPA ensures that all students have an opportunity to achieve learning outcomes consistent with the educational mission of Presentation College. Its VPA, who is the public face of academics within the institution, must be effective as a collaborative leader in a shared governance environment. S/he is expected to inspire faculty and staff while working productively with other leaders throughout the campus community. The ideal candidate will be an academically based entrepreneur with experience in designing and delivering high-quality educational programs. S/he needs to possess the knowledge of higher education trends and have a background in budgeting, strategic planning, curricular assessment, accreditation, faculty evaluation, personnel management, and employee motivation. S/he will serve as the liaison to the Academic Affairs Committee of the Board of Trustees. The VPA provides direction for and supervision in all aspects of the academic enterprise of the College. S/he will guide and oversee the institution’s academic portfolio; the development, implementation, and accreditation of new academic degree offerings; and the College’s assessment-related activities. In addition, the VPA will be responsible for the development and expansion of continuing/ extended education articulation agreements.
The successful candidate will have earned a doctorate from an accredited institution of higher learning, a record of teaching, scholarly and creative activity, and professional service while possessing substantial and effective administrative experience at the Dean’s level or above. Direct reports to the VPA include the deans of the following divisions: Health and Natural Science, Nursing, and Social Science and Humanities. Within a recently reconfigured organizational structure, these deans have been granted autonomy in leading day-to-day operations in their respective divisions. This enables the VPA to focus on long-range academic planning and program evaluation instead of duplicating administrative efforts and/or micromanaging daily tasks. Also reporting to the Vice President for Academics are the Assistant VPA (who directs institutional assessment and accreditation efforts), Executive Assistant, Registrar, Director of the Library/Learning Resources Center, Director of Faculty Development and Instructional Technology, and Director of the Career and Learning Center.
The Vice President for Academics will:
1. Be responsible for guidance and oversight of all aspects of the educational enterprise of Presentation College;
2. Assist the President in supporting the academic vision and leadership in ways that support excellence in teaching, learning, and scholarly/creative activity while advancing institutional service, community engagement, and financial stewardship;
3. Determine academic priorities and work closely with the Deans and Chief Financial Officer in preparing and managing a budget sufficient to sustain the academic mission of the College;
4. Collaboratively coordinate academic functions of the institution associated with student affairs, facilities, institutional development, and finances;
5. Design and implement initiatives and strategies to enhance and further expand educational programs and promote student success;
6. Oversee faculty appointment, promotion, and tenure processes;
7. Work collegially with faculty committees and the Faculty Assembly on matters that impact academic policies and procedures;
8. Forge partnerships, such as articulation agreements with area colleges and universities, while also establishing and maintaining affiliations with other institutions and organizations.
For a more comprehensive listing of the VPA’s responsibilities, please see the accompanying Search Prospectus, which can be reviewed at http://www.presentation.edu/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/SEARCH-PROSPECTUS-VP-FOR-ACADEMICS-2.pdf
Required Educational Background
• Earned doctorate and academic credentials that qualify the candidate to lead a diverse, engaged, and dedicated faculty.
Required Skills, Abilities, and Experience
• Demonstrated significant and successful academic administrative experience at the Dean level or above and proven leadership ability.
• Record of accomplishments in leading academic and/or administrative teams.
• Exceptional communication skills and a demonstrated history of working collaboratively with and empowering faculty.
• Considerable experience in overseeing institutional and discipline-specific accreditation efforts.
• Successful background in new academic program development.
• Sensitivity and commitment to diversity and promoting inclusivity.
• An understanding of the most critical issues facing higher education institutions in today’s competitive environment.
• Ability to promote, develop, and implement interdisciplinary initiatives.
A more detailed listing of skills, abilities, and experience being sought in the VPA is included in the Search Prospectus, which is available for review at http://www.presentation.edu/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/SEARCH-PROSPECTUS-VP-FOR-ACADEMICS-2.pdf
The search for the next Vice President for Academics at Presentation College is being led by Dr. Parris R. Watts. Dr. Watts will not be a candidate for the position. He will, however, continue to serve in his interim capacity until a new VPA assumes the role, ideally on July 1, 2018.
Nominations and expressions of interest in the position will be accepted until it is filled. Formal applications should consist of a substantive cover letter, wherein candidates are asked to address the qualifications specified in the aforementioned Search Prospectus. Also required is a curriculum vitae and a list of the names and up-to-date contact information for five professional references. No references will be contacted without the explicit permission of the candidate. Nominations, expressions of interest, cover letters, CVs, and reference lists should be submitted, electronically to Parris.Watts@presentation.edu.
Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted and will be considered highly confidential. All materials received by March 15, 2018, can be assured full consideration. Additional information about this exceptional academic affairs leadership role may be found at www.presentation.edu