Requisition Number: STFR004306
Division/College: External Affairs
Location: Boston Main Campus
Full-time/Part-time: Full Time
Northeastern University is seeking a creative, entrepreneurial and energetic Executive Editor to lead its award-winning daily news organization, [email protected]. The Executive Editor will supervise a team of storytellers and develop innovative editorial strategies designed to increase audience size and engagement. We are looking for experience gained in newsrooms at top-tier media organizations. Experience in higher education is not necessary, nor is it desired.
[email protected] is the official source of university news for students, faculty, staff, and alumni, with an expanding external audience of readers not formally affiliated with Northeastern. Reporting to the VP for Communications and managing a team of writers, the Executive Editor works closely with the web design/development, multimedia, and social media teams to develop stories and delivery strategies that are informed by audience analytics and inspired by the latest trends in digital journalism.
The Executive Editor is a fast and superb writer, editor and versatile thinker who brings impeccable judgment and creativity to identifying story ideas about research, entrepreneurship, people, and experiences, and developing engaging ways to tell them. He/she is up to date on the latest trends in digital journalism as produced by the best newsrooms. He/she is able to adapt those best practices to take [email protected] to new heights.
• Bachelor’s degree
• 7-10 years of newsroom or related experience
• Excellent writing and copy-editing skills
• Excellent command of AP style
• Management experience
• Excellent sense of what is news
• Superb focus on detail and accuracy while maintaining speed
• Respect for short deadlines
• Knowledgeable about current social media platforms and using them for storytelling
• Sense of humor
• Excellent work ethic
• Love for problem solving, multitasking, collaboration
Great if you also have:
• Master’s degree
• Experience with content management systems, Wordpress in particular
What stands us apart:
• We offer a highly competitive benefits package, including tuition waivers for that master’s degree or certificate you’ve been thinking about.
• Other current offerings include discounts on technology products, health and fitness programs, generous retirement programs, ample paid time off, and professional development opportunities.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: [email protected]
Northeastern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Educational Institution and Employer, Title IX University. Northeastern University particularly welcomes applications from minorities, women and persons with disabilities. Northeastern University is an E-Verify Employer.