Reporting to the Foreman of Grounds, the Sanitation Groundskeeper is responsible for a wide range of maintenance duties and general repairs, monitoring and providing general up-keep, and ensuring the College facilities are maintained at a high standard, including but not limited to: Collect all campus trash; operates trash compactors and performs a variety of general maintenance and grounds care duties.
This position requires participation in an on-call rotation schedule. In addition, this position is required to participate in general snow shoveling and removal, salting, sanding, and trash pick-up as directed and as needed. The work schedule for this position is Monday through Friday from 7:00 am – 3:30 pm.
- Responsible for daily picking up and disposing of trash and recycling campus wide; including all loose debris not in containers;
- Keep area around cafeteria compactor safe and clean of debris;
- Periodically scrape out debris from all trash and recycling containers on campus, steam clean and sanitize as needed;
- Empty ashtrays and ashtray buckets around campus and replenish sand as necessary;
- Sweep debris (sand, salt, cigarette butts etc.) from steps of all buildings;
- Notify office personnel when compactors reach agreed upon capacity that change out will be needed;
- Informs supervisor and/or office staff, in a timely manner, when facilities related supplies, equipment, and material purchases are needed;
- Perform minimal pest control tasks as directed;
- Perform seasonal landscaping duties and grounds maintenance assignments as directed;
GENERAL EXPECTATIONS AND DUTIES:
- It is expected that all work performed is in compliance with any applicable licensure requirements;
- May be asked to communicate with, and direct the work of subcontractors and vendors;
- Communicate regularly with management to meet the needs of the department;
- Under general supervision, work independently within department standard operating procedures, referring all requests to purchase to the Foreman of Grounds;
- Must adhere to all safety practices and standards;
- Provides timely response to work orders and assignments;
- Perform duties independently according to broadly prescribed renovation and maintenance projects;
- Effectively completes required administrative processes on request and effectively produces required documentation and reports;
- Works collaboratively with B&G and other College employees;
- Identifies and reports any items that are in need of repair and/or pose a safety hazard at both interior and exterior of buildings to Foreman, forwarding to B&G office issues that need immediate attention;
- Responsible for keeping work area clean and safe at all times including company vehicle;
- Provides responsible and reliable coverage; must occasionally be available for off-hour emergencies;
- A reasonable amount of overtime may be required as necessary to meet the needs of the department;
- May occasionally be required to perform various grounds or trades tasks, including but not limited to moving furniture, assisting in set ups, as directed;
- Assist with other B&G functions and perform other duties as directed.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Occasionally oversees and provides hands on direction to students and temporary/casual workers as assigned.
EDUCATIONAL EXPERIENCE: High school diploma, G.E.D or equivalent required. Hoisting License preferred. A valid unrestricted Massachusetts driver's license required.
ATTRIBUTES AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Requires one (1) to three (3) years relevant buildings and grounds maintenance experience.
Must have overall working knowledge of general maintenance and repair operations and practices. Must have proven skills in the safe use of hand and power tools used in buildings and grounds maintenance. Other requirements include:
- Basic working knowledge on the use of computers;
- Proven effective communication skills, a high level of professionalism and strong customer service orientation;
- Must have the ability to complete required daily administrative processes;
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Demonstrated history of being prompt and reliable;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Ability to be flexible in a changing fast paced environment;
- Proven record of team orientation with demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a complex environment with constantly changing priorities;
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Must be able to lift 75lbs occasionally and 50lbs often.
At the College’s discretion, the education and experience prerequisites may be excepted where the candidate can demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the College, an equivalent combination of education and experience specifically preparing the candidate for success in the position.
Employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of all required pre-employment physical and background checks.
Please apply online at: http://www.curry.edu/about-curry/employment/job-opportunities.html for consideration. Interested Applicants must submit a resume, cover letter, and a list of three professional references including complete contact information and professional titles.