VET TECH PRIMARY CARE A/B
Duties: * Work collaboratively with interns and 4th year veterinary students while instructing them on proper restraint techniques and nursing skills such as venipuncture, cystocentesis, and vaccine/subcutaneous medication administration.
* Instruct and assist 4th year veterinary students on basic skills like nail trims, anal gland expression, collection of ear and skin cytology samples and staining slides.
* Draw up vaccinations as needed for each patient.
* Check in patients and communicate with owners on surgery and dentistry days.
* Communicate with the anesthesia service and submit anesthesia request forms for scheduled surgeries and professional dental cleanings.
* Assist the veterinarian and 4th year veterinary students during routine surgeries.
* Clean surgical and dental instruments and prepare them for sterilization.
* Perform professional dental cleanings with power (ultrasonic) and hand dental scalers.
* Take intra-oral radiographs with small radiographic films and a digital sensor and operate the associated software.
* Help students move patients to the recovery ward, and check on recovering patients (if student is not available) until patients are discharged home.
* Discharge patients and provide client education, assist students with these tasks as well.
* Organize and oversee client callbacks and follow up. Students will also help with these tasks, but the nurse will need to oversee the process and follow up on cases when students are not available.
* Assist with stocking of all Primary Care service supplies, including vaccines.
* Manage flow of cases during appointment hours. Alert student/clinician when a client has arrived.
Qualifications: Level A
An Associate's Degree or two year college equivalent and 0 - 1 year of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Must be a certified/licensed/registered veterinary technician or will become eligible to sit for the VTNE within the next 3 months.
An Associate's Degree or two year college equivalent and 1 - 2 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Certified/licensed/registered veterinary technician required.
Reference Number: 58-27784
Salary Grade: 022/23
Employment Type: Non-Exempt
Org: Ryan Veterinary Hospital
Special Requirements: Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Job Family: 3-Animal Care