SENIOR WRITER, DARMAX
Duties: The University of Pennsylvania's Development and Alumni Relations Marketing and Communications (DARMAX) Department is responsible for conceiving and executing communications strategies to advance the goals of Penn's Development and Alumni Relations office (DAR) and the mission of the University.
Integral to DARMAX, the Associate Senior Writer and Managing Editor performs as a high-level conceptual writer and publication editor who communicates with precision and eloquence in a demanding, deadline-driven environment. The successful candidate will view the generation of creative, powerful, on-point writing as his/her true calling and be passionate about the complexities of the written word and the art of effective storytelling. The successful candidate will also be a voracious reader with the ability to absorb, assimilate, and communicate information on a wide variety of topics. This position is responsible for independently managing multiple complex writing assignments at once, while also functioning in a publication manager role.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
* While collaborating with staff across DAR and the University, write and develop a wide range of communications materials to support DAR's integrated communications strategies. These materials include, but are not limited to, Development messaging, executive speeches and talking points, print publications, website content, proposals, and case statements.
* Manage DARMAX print publication. Related responsibilities include the following: collaborate with Director of Strategic Writing Services and Executive Director of DARMAX to determine content for each issue; coordinate with DAR leadership and top fundraisers to identify compelling stories; communicate deadlines and expectations to all constituents and outside vendors; adhere to allotted budget; oversee proofreading procedures; edit copy; resolve any issues as they arise.
* Collaborate with staff across the University to facilitate effective communication and information sharing.
* Participate in all aspects of the DARMAX communications program, inclusive of the following: conceptualize narrative and content, build relationships and contacts, identify cogent stories and information, and contribute to the ongoing creative efforts of Development and Alumni Relations.
* Contribute to the spirit of teamwork and to the strength of the University by providing proactive, positive, and effective customer service to Penn employees as well as external supporters and partners.
* Demonstrate a commitment to ongoing professional development and training.
This position reports to Director of Strategic Writing Services. Works closely with DARMAX colleagues as well as with the highest level leaders within DAR and across Penn.
Qualifications: Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications or a related field required. Master's degree in writing or humanities preferred. 5-7 years of professional writing experience with published writing samples (either print or online). Highly skilled in assimilating complex information, understanding multifaceted concepts, and translating those concepts into compelling prose.
Demonstrated ability to manage multiple complex projects required. Experience managing publications preferred. Exceptional writing and editing skills. Exceptional interpersonal skills with a high degree of competency and comfort in interacting with people at all professional levels. Ability to use a database for research. Ability to staff events as needed.
Reference Number: 90-27780
Salary Grade: 028
Employment Type: Exempt
Org: DAR Communications
Special Requirements: Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Job Family: M-Writing/Communications/Public Relations