Planning & Budgeting Systems Analyst
Requisition # 2017-8137
Department Finance Technology
Category Financial Services and Procurement
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline 3/21/2018
The Office of Finance & Treasury actively searches for staff members of exceptional ability and promise who share in Princeton University's commitment to excellence, and who present a diversity of viewpoints and cultures. We offer varied professional opportunities spanning all aspects of financial management, analysis, and processing in support of the teaching and research mission. As part of the University community, we respect the dignity and individuality of each member while trying to foster a sense of shared experience and common purpose. We are unwavering in our commitment to both diversity and community and embrace the variety of talents, backgrounds, and perspectives of all of our colleagues.
The Planning and Budgeting Systems Analyst will play a critical role in the development and implementation for a University-wide Departmental Planning and Budgeting initiative. This position will provide guidance and direction for the technical design of this stratecic initiative, and will require coordination with academic and administrative units. The successful candidate must demonstratate thought leadership and a disciplined approach for the delivery of architecture and integration design, systems administration, monitoring, and innovative business consulting for this initiative. To meet these requirements, the systems analyst will need to combine an in-depth functional understanding of planning and budgeting, along with technical acumen and knowledge of how to enable these processes using Oracle's Planning and Budgeting Cloud Service (PBCS), to include integrations across a range of financial and reporting systems. It is essential that the systems analyst have a deep understanding and recent experience with Oracle Hyperion and/or Planning and Budgeting Cloud Service.
This role will be responsible for addressing business problems and/or opportunities by capturing requirements, documenting processes, and recommending functional designs in support of departmental planning process improvements. With an emphasis on usability, the systems analyst will be responsible for the design, configuration, testing and deployment of PBCS forms, dashboards, and reports. This position will provide ongoing technical support for the operations and maintenance activities required for the planning and budgeting processes. The systems analyst will collaborate as part of a team of business analysts, developers, and subject matter experts supporting the University's financial systems, and will directly support budget analysts in the Office of Finance & Treasury. The candidate will be responsible for the escalation of issues to vendor support and recommending new functionality from the cloud solution that can be leveraged for our implementation. This position will contribute across business processes, engaging in other functional areas and offering knowledge transfer and guidance for cross-functional designs and issue resolution.
The successful candidate will need to be selfmotivated and organized, highly observant of and sensitive to the culture of the University and its many constituencies, inherently collegial and service oriented, and an excellent communicator.
- Responsibility for systems design and integration activities for the Planning and Budgeting business processes
- Coordinates within Finance & Treasury departments and other campus partners to document and analyze functional requirements, identify gaps and construct alternative approaches to meet requirements (adhering to approved methodology and documentation standards)
- Provides leadership in identifying and defining enhancement opportunities for assigned business areas
- Collaborates closely with business owners to ensure enhancements and designs satisfy the required needs of the business and campus
- Serves as key resource providing expertise for the planning and budgeting business processes to include:
- Configuration changes or updates to the system
- Design and configuration of forms, dashboards and reports
- Systems integration requirements
- Metadata management
- Cross-cube calculation rules
- Support for University budgeting and forecasting processes
- System administration and monitoring
- Provide input for design of PBCS security and roles.
- Reconciles data between PBCS and integrating transactional and reporting systems
- Maintains data dimension structures and reporting hierarchies
- In collaboration with the Business Intelligence/Reporting team, identifies opportunities and develops functional designs to enhance planning and budgeting reporting capabilities
- Works with functional, technical and reporting peers to identify best approaches to ensure that user requirements are met with a usable, intuitive and efficient manner and implement approved solutions
- Facilitates status, business alignment, and issue meetings
- Plays a key role in leading and executing functional user acceptance testing with guidance from the project teams. Writes test scripts and performs detailed testing to ensure that software and reports function correctly
- Ability to identify and communicate downstream impacts of enhancements or major projects to other teams /departments that may be impacted. Needs to work well in a matrix environment
- Critically evaluates information gathered from multiple sources, reconciles conflicts, decomposes high-level information, and distinguishes user requests from the underlying true needs
- Supports organizational readiness by contributing to the planning for communications and training materials to facilitate the introduction of new planning and budgeting capabilities
- Coordinates with Office of Information Technology (OIT) personnel on addressing technical requirements impacting the overall solution design
- Provides knowledge transfer to teammates working in other business areas
- Ability to manage time and expectations across multiple projects and concurrent tasks, as well as ability to troubleshoot and resolve production support items
- Facilitates prioritization discussions in assigned business area
- Bachelor's degree in technology related field or business administration
- Minimum of 7 - 9 years of relevant work experience
- Recent and deep experience with Oracle Hyperion and/or Planning and Budgeting Cloud Service (PBCS)
- Experience in SDLC for multiple Planning and Budgeting implementations
- Broad knowledge in the business functions of Planning and Budgeting
- Smart View
- Advanced skill in Microsoft Excel
- Expertise in PeopleSoft Financials 9.2
- Master's degree in technology related field or business administration
- Higher education experience
- User interface design experience
- Project management experience
NOTE: This is a two year term position
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Estimated Appointment End Date
Comments Related to End Date
This is a two year term position
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.