Software Applications Manager
Software Applications Manager
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Department: INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Position Status: Administrative Exempt Positions
The Software Applications Manager leads the team of Applications Engineers supporting enterprise software applications. The position will lead and supervise the design, management, and deployment of complex applications with responsibility for the proper functioning of these applications in the WPI technical environment, integration with other systems as necessary, and high standards for availability and security. Lead process definition and the development of standards and procedures to ensure repeatable processes that enable highly available software applications. Provide leadership towards transition to new technologies, cloud-based services, in coordination with other IT units.
Information Technology (IT) collaborates with the WPI community to meet academic, research, campus life, and administrative needs for technology and access on a global scale. IT promotes innovation to deliver an advanced technology infrastructure, security and access management, integrated data systems, and user-centric support services. Join our Information Technology team and help us enable another one-hundred fifty years of WPI's success.
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
If you want a new challenge and want to make a difference, then WPI can help you get there!
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Manage the configuration or modification of software to perform optimally and securely in the WPI technical environment.
• Create and maintain standards, procedures, and documentation for the management of software applications.
• Write technical specifications to guide the selection of new software applications or modifications to existing applications.
• Formulate processes for software testing and quality assurance.
• Participate in WPI’s development of strategy, processes, skills, and operational practices for the support of cloud-based software applications and their interaction with the premises-based applications.
• Serve as a key advisor for Change Management; provide guidance on the interactions of software applications and the WPI technical environment.
• Participate in ITSM-based processes such as Change Management, Configuration Management, Incident and Problem Management.
• Participate in computer audits and perform testing for disaster recovery process, ensuring a secure processing environment that protects the integrity and availability of information.
• Coordinate with WPI ITS units responsible for Enterprise Systems, Academic and Research Computing, Security, Network, and Telecommunications, Systems Operations, Support Services, and the Academic Technology Center.
• Perform additional duties as assigned.
• 5-7 years’ experience engineering the fit of software applications in the enterprise environment and managing software engineers: deployment, configuration, operation, high availability, integration, and incident and problem management.
• Ability to lead, supervise, and develop staff.
• Knowledge of configuration characteristics of key WPI software applications, including underlying technologies such as the databases, transmission methods, and security systems. Experience in operational support of these technologies.
• Experience in supporting cloud-based software applications.
• Ability to troubleshoot complex software applications, integration, and environmental issues.
• Knowledge of the characteristics of cloud-based software systems and applications.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills; able to communicate successfully with faculty, students and staff.
• Ability to write technical documentation for use by IT colleagues.
• Experience working in an academic environment preferred.
Posting Date: 01/16/2018
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
Criminal Background Check Statement:
A pre-employment criminal records check is required.
To apply, visit: https://careers.wpi.edu/postings/5275