The College of Veterinary Medicine was formally established as a four-year, degree-granting program in 1910. Today, the college includes three clinical departments -- large-animal clinical sciences, small-animal clinical sciences, and pathobiology and diagnostic investigation; two affiliated biomedical science departments -- microbiology and molecular genetics and pharmacology/toxicology; two service units -- the Veterinary Medical Center and the Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory; and several research centers.
In addition to the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree program, the college also offers certificate and bachelor's degree programs in veterinary technology, as well as advanced degree (master's and doctor of philosophy) programs.
The successful candidate will bring the requisite experience and skills to build upon and shape the college’s strengths and will have a distinguished record of academic accomplishments and scholarship appropriate for appointment at the rank of Full Professor.
- Education: Earned Doctorate in Veterinary Medicine from an accredited institution with outstanding scholarly accomplishments; and ability to meet standards for appointment at the rank of professor (with tenure) in an academic department of the university.
Michigan State University seeks an individual with a record of distinguished academic achievement and leadership of a complex organization. The successful candidate will provide strong leadership at a premier academic institution and advocate for the College, and its faculty, staff, and students within the university community and beyond.
As a key member of the University’s leadership team, the Dean must be able to work across disciplinary boundaries. The successful candidate will demonstrate commitment to recruitment, retention, and placement of a diverse group of students, faculty and staff.
The successful candidate will bring the requisite experience and skills to build upon and shape the College’s strengths. Desired experience and qualifications will include:
- Administrative & Financial: Significant, successful record of administrative leadership and meaningful accomplishment that includes strategic planning, program development and evaluation, supervisory and financial management experience;
- Decision Making: Ability to build consensus and share decision making with multiple stakeholder communities;
- Engage & Collaborate: Demonstrated ability to engage and work collaboratively with faculty, students, staff, alumni, employers, and donors and other external constituencies at all levels in a complex and diverse environment; this includes collaboration between academic units at MSU as well as external partners;
- Inspire & Facilitate Success of Others: The capacity to work collegially and inspire faculty, directors, and chairs in order to facilitate their success;
- Communication: Exceptional written, oral and interpersonal communication skills; Ability to articulate the College’s strengths and effectively advocate for its needs;
- Diversity: Demonstrated experience in enhancing diversity and inclusive excellence;
- Fundraising: Successful record of, or aptitude for, obtaining external financial support;
- Commitment to Excellence: Demonstrated understanding of the College’s educational programs and a commitment to the highest standards of academic excellence;
- Vision: Demonstrated use of relevant knowledge, creativity, resourcefulness and diplomacy in facilitating the development of a vision and path for the future;
- Recruitment: A track record of attracting, mentoring, and retaining diverse, high-quality faculty/staff;
- Research: Demonstrated ability to foster innovative individual and team research in the basic biomedical and clinical sciences in order to improve animal and human health;
- Technology: Familiarity with, and appreciation for, the use of technology in creating and delivering outstanding academic programs;
Applications should include 1) a curriculum vitae and 2) a letter of interest that addresses the responsibilities and requirements described above, as well as the applicant’s motivation to apply.Special Instructions
To ensure full consideration, inquiries, nominations, and all applications (PDF files preferred) should be submitted, in confidence, to Paul H.L. Chou and Bernard Godley at: email@example.com
Review of applications will begin on February 2, 2018, and will continue until the position has been filled.