UNC Asheville offers a small-college setting in one of the most scenic areas of the country. Our beautiful location provides the backdrop for career-minded professionals who value work and life balance. UNC Asheville employees embrace and reflect the university's core values of diversity and inclusion, innovation and sustainability as we build a respectful, vibrant, responsible and inclusive campus community.
The Benefits Specialist supports the Benefits and Employee Relations Manager by coordinating the University's benefits programs. This team member conducts presentations on various HR topics, special projects, implementation of policies/programs/processes, new employee orientation, and other activities. This position serves as liaison between HR and various outside vendors to provide information, resolve problems and interpret policies. Successful candidates will have the ability to navigate various system and processes, maintain relations with various carriers and vendors, which includes transmitting and retrieving data from their systems and uploading into Banner (HRIS).The Benefits Specialist must have the ability to analyze, compile, audit and validate crucial eligibility data through multiple computer-based applications; compile and model data for reporting information and trends to support decision-making. This individual must maintain complete confidentiality at all times. UNC Asheville is committed to promoting diversity and a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and the ability to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.Preferred candidates will have a bachelor's degree, at least 3 years of benefits administration experience that includes:
- Experience in benefits administration, including group health insurance and retirement programs
- Compliance expertise regarding state and federal legislation (e.g., COBRA, HIPAA, ERISA, FMLA, ACA, and other relevant labor laws)
- HRIS experience, familiarity with Banner a plus
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, multi-tasked environment, and prioritize and manage multiple requests and deadlines
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to demonstrate good judgment, empathy, and compassion appropriate for the situation and all parties involved
- Excellent attention to detail, interpersonal communication and customer service skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Ability to work effectively with people in all areas and at all levels within a diverse community
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and email
- PHR or CEBS certification
UNC Asheville is committed to equality and diversity of experiences for our students, applicants and employees. Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply regardless of socio-economic status, gender expression, gender and sexual identity, culture, and ideological beliefs. UNC Asheville is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and will not discriminate against applicants and employees on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other legally protected status with respect to all terms, conditions, and privileges of university-sponsored activities, employment, and the use of university facilities.