Chair, Department of Advanced Studies and Innovation
Augusta University (http://www.augusta.edu), a premier public research university and academic health center, announces a national search for a Chair, Department of Advanced Studies and Innovation. We welcome applications and nominations.
The department offers an M.Ed. and Ed.S. degree in Counselor Education (School and Mental Health Counseling), as well as the Ed.S in Curriculum and Instruction. The Doctorate of Education in Innovation (EdD) is nested in the department as are the research and foundations courses that serve the entire College Of Education.
Our department prides itself on excellence in teaching, close interaction with students through advising, mentoring of graduate researchers and cross-disciplinary interaction with faculty from other departments.
Reporting directly to the Dean of the College of Education, the Chair will be a dynamic and accomplished leader who will offer outstanding governance in departmental administrative, financial and program components, and will define an innovative vision for the continued growth of the educational, research and service missions of the department.
- Oversees all departmental activities, consults with faculty in outlining and promoting departmental policies, and ensures compliance with departmental, college, university and Board of Regents (BOR) policies.
- Assumes responsibility for the quality of the instruction, research and service programs conducted in the department and presents an annual report to the Dean of the college outlining both targeted and accomplished teaching, research, and service activities of the department.
- Provides mentoring and support to promote career advancement of department faculty, conducts annual assessments of progress toward identified goals and assists in identifying resources to foster continued growth and development.
- Serves as a liaison to other officers of the university and represents the department in all official communications with senior leaders and students.
- Oversees the assignment of teaching and other duties within the department and maintains an equitable and mutually agreeable distribution of assignments.
- In accordance with University and Board of Regents policies, participates in the recommendation of appointment and reappointment, promotion and tenure, and dismissal or non-renewal of members of the faculty.
- Administers the annual budget in consultation with the administrative team and business office staff. Upon approval, reviews the budget with departmental faculty.
- Initiates and maintains standards which ensure the appropriate expenditure of departmental funds and appropriate care and use of departmental property.
- Collaborates with other members of the COE Administrative Team in leadership and management of College operations; strategic assessment, planning and resource allocation; design and execution of faculty support systems; and implementation of continuous quality improvement processes.
- Promotes the development of interdisciplinary programs of research, and actively recruits new faculty in nascent or under-represented areas of research.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Earned doctorate in Research, Counselor Education, Curriculum and Instruction, Educational Foundations, or related discipline
- Eligible for appointment as an Associate or Full Professor
- Proven success in a comprehensive research university setting.
- Significant academic administrative experience.
- Experience in program and curricular development, budget and personnel management, student recruitment and retention, grant writing, and assessment.
- Demonstrated ability, professionalism and mutual respect for diverse cultures with the ability to build a legendary team while gaining consensus among team members and other constituents.
- Proven track record as a problem solver and the ability to implement innovative solutions to contemporary challenges.
- Outstanding communication skills: written, oral, listening, and public speaking ability, including the ability to forge and reinforce effective relationships with internal/external constituencies.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills at all levels and experience in working with an executive leadership team and a board in effective and efficient legal relations strategy and management.
- A proven leader of people who is able to recruit, develop and mentor a top-notch team capable of supporting future growth.
- Success at working with multiple constituencies and within layered governance structures.
- Comprehensive and broad understanding of current trends in higher education and academic medicine.
- Successful experience with the supervision of staff in a complex organization and the management of a multi-faceted program.
- Highly developed human relations skills, leading to the ability to work well with staff and volunteers at all levels in the organization.
Other Personal Characteristics
- Strategic and future-oriented.
- Understands and drives to excellence.
- Effective, creative and a problem-solver.
- High visibility, both within the organization as well as outside the organization; a willingness to be a representative of Augusta University in the community.
- Creative and flexible in developing and assessing new ideas and ways to evolve Augusta University into the future.
- Proven ability to see the big picture but also dive into the details when necessary.
- Passionate, motivational leader able to craft an effective yet efficient plan and execute.
- Self-confident, likes a challenge, and is willing to take risks.
- The highest personal integrity and ethics, with a visible commitment to the mission of Augusta University.
The Department Chair should be a strategic thinker, a visionary leader who thrives in a challenging environment and is clearly aligned with the Augusta University values of:
- Collegiality – reflected in collaboration, partnership, sense of community, and teamwork.
- Compassion – reflected in caring, empathy, and social responsibility.
- Excellence – reflected in distinction, effectiveness, efficiency, enthusiasm, passion, and quality.
- Inclusivity – reflected in diversity, equality, fairness, impartiality, and respect.
- Integrity – reflected in accountability, ethical behavior, honesty, and reliability.
- Leadership – reflected in courage, honor, professionalism, transparency, and vision.
The Application Process
Applicants should submit a letter of interest, a comprehensive curriculum vitae, and three letters of reference. Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. On behalf of the Search Committee, candidate materials will be received electronically by:
Sharon R. Wingard
Executive Search Consultant
The final candidate will be required to provide proof of completed academic degree in the form of an original transcript. Those candidates trained by a foreign institution will also be required to provide an educational/credential evaluation.
Augusta University is an AA/EEO/Equal Access/ADA Employer.