Assistant Dean for Advancement - College of Veterinary Medicine (A1800020)
Assistant Dean for Advancement
College of Veterinary Medicine
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The College of Veterinary Medicine and the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Institutional Advancement (OVCIA) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign seek a full-time Assistant Dean for Advancement to provide the strategic leadership and management of a comprehensive advancement program for the College. Internationally recognized for its groundbreaking professional veterinary degree program, the College of Veterinary Medicine is poised to grow in all areas of its mission.
Notable assets of the College include the nation's most comprehensive Clinical Skills Learning Center; research faculty with NIH-funded programs; veterinary specialists who are leaders in their fields; clinical, service, and research programs based in Chicago, the state's population center; a prominent and supportive alumni and donor base; historic ties to the agricultural industries in the state; the collaborations and other resources available as part of the world-class University of Illinois, which recently announced creation of the world's first engineering-based college of medicine; and expertise that is highly relevant to a host of societal needs, from basic biology to public health, emerging infectious disease, food safety, food productivity, environmental toxicology, specialized medicine, and the human-animal bond.
On October 13, 2017, the university launched its fourth comprehensive campaign. "With Illinois" is the most ambitious philanthropic initiative in its history. The goal is to raise $2.25 billion in support of Illinois students, faculty, research, and infrastructure and to continue to elevate the values that make Illinois distinctive: a sense of boundless aspiration, collaborative research, and global perspective. The College of Veterinary Medicine has set a campaign goal to raise $40 million.
In partnership with Dean Peter Constable, this position is expected to have a major impact on realizing the College's substantial potential for increasing level of private support.
As member of the Dean's executive leadership team, the Assistant Dean provides vision and strategic leadership for a fundraising team of two development officers responsible for individual, corporate and foundation giving, as well as professional staff supporting stewardship, alumni relations and strategic event planning in the College. The successful candidate will craft and execute comprehensive plans to meet the annual fundraising and engagement objectives as determined by the campus and the College. The Assistant Dean for Advancement reports jointly to the Dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine and to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Institutional Advancement/Associate Vice President of the University of Illinois Foundation.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide vision, imagination and significant demonstrated fundraising and campaign experience in an environment of high expectations and accountability. Plan and implement a comprehensive advancement strategy for the College.
- Lead a fund-raising team tasked with identifying, cultivating and soliciting major and leadership annual donors; creating, coordinating and writing funding proposals directed at individuals, corporations and foundations; and designing and implementing campaigns for specific needs within the College and its departments. Maintain a high standard of performance while inspiring his/her team to do the same; ensure that all fundraisers on the team have the support, guidance and mentorship they need to successfully close major/leadership annual gifts for the College. This includes clear communication of established campus accountabilities for major gift fundraising as well as helping individuals stay focused on the clearly outlined priorities of the College.
- Establish and maintain a personal portfolio of major gift prospects; maintain a significant travel schedule throughout the United States to meet with alumni, grateful clients, stakeholders, corporate and foundation executives.
- Build and maintain productive working relationships with academic department heads, faculty and administrators throughout the College of Veterinary Medicine in order to thoroughly understand their programs and priorities.
- Provide strategic direction and input into the messaging of key College communications to various internal and external stakeholder audiences, sharing vision, mission and goals. Oversee staff responsible for leadership annual giving, engagement and events, alumni relations, and stewardship. Responsible for the strategic management and direction of the College's Alumni Board.
- Partner with the Dean to plan and implement strategic visits with key donors that will move them closer to making significant gifts to the College and facilitate the Dean's engagement with a portfolio of the College's most important major donors and prospects. Regularly travel with the Dean as necessary.
- Lead campaign planning for the College. Prepare volunteers to participate in cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major gifts and campaigns as needed.
- Work collaboratively with other development officers across campus to devise strategies for all aspects of donor cultivation and stewardship. Facilitate effective collaborative relationships with the Office of Institutional Advancement, the University of Illinois Foundation and other campus advancement offices.
- A minimum of a bachelor's degree, with a master's degree preferred.
- Five to seven years of successful related management experience in higher education, a charitable organization, not-for profit or related industry.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build successful long-term relationships in a professional work environment.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Experience in positions or organizations that supported $100M+ campaigns
- Demonstrated track record of cultivating and securing seven-figure and larger outright and deferred gift commitments
- Knowledge of planned giving vehicles.
- Experience managing professionals in multiple locations
To ensure full consideration, application materials must be received by February 9, 2018. Please complete your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a letter of application, resume and the names, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three professional references. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Katie Walker at [email protected]. The proposed starting date is as soon as possible after the closing date.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: College of Veterinary Medicine
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Assistant Dean for Advancement - College of Veterinary Medicine (A1800020)
Open Date: 01/17/2018
Organization Name: Ofc VC Inst Advancement