Director, Distance Learning
Requisition Number STA - 201000000561
Job Title Director, Distance Learning
The University of North Texas at Dallas invites applications for the position of Director, Distance Learning .
The University - the first four-year public institution of higher education in the city - seeks an individual who will help shape the character of a 21st century, teaching-focused university. Candidates should be able to express enthusiastic support for the mission of the university to transform the lives of students, families and communities by providing high-quality, student-focused education in preparation for tomorrow's careers, and its vision to create the place of choice where students are inspired to learn, faculty are inspired to teach and the community is inspired to support. For more information about the university, go to: http://untdallas.edu/
The Director of Distance and Online Learning will provide strategic leadership and leverage significant expertise in educational technology, online pedagogy, and operational implementation of academic programs. The Director serves as lead in collaborating with academic programs to design, develop, and deliver engaging and comprehensive online and hybrid courses and programs that ensure alignment with the university's mission.
Job duties include, but not limited to:
- Overseeing distance education curriculum development and instructional design.
- Seeking out best practices for online and hybrid education.
- Regularly assessing the quality of distance education programs and implementing strategies for improvement.
- Designing and implementing training and development for faculty teaching online and hybrid courses.
- Creating and enforcing distance education faculty policies.
- Managing day-to-day operation of a Help Desk, including hiring and training student workers.
- Interfacing with IT and LMS support for additional assistance and administration.
- Supporting and assisting in the development of technology-driven instructional and courseware solutions.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess the following required qualifications:
- Master's degree in Instructional Technology/Instructional Design or related field.
- Five (5) years of related experience in higher education instructional technology development required.
- Demonstrated experience in building online programs, and in building team processes.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
- Management experience related to technology user support.
- LMS administration experience, including user support.
- Possess advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office, graphic software, video recording and editing software, and web publishing.
- Communicate well with others, both verbally and in writing, and be able to effectively interact with administration, faculty, staff and other outside contacts.
- Five or more years in higher education online instruction development.
- Currency with accreditation concerns (knowledge of SACSCOC a plus) and with trends in tech-mediated instruction.
Physical requirements necessary to perform essential job functions
Work is primarily sedentary. Sits comfortably to do the work; however, there may be some walking, standing, bending, or lifting items weighing up to 15 pounds.
Driving University Vehicle? No
Substitution of Experience/Education No
Ending Date (if temporary)
Special Instructions to Applicants
M-F, 8am-5pm, some evenings and weekends
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Texas Workforce Commission
- HigherEd Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed
- Linked In
- Professional Diversity Network
- Company Website
- Job Fair
- Current Employee
- Other (Specify Below)
- Please specify source from above
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you possess a Master's degree or higher in Instructional Technology/Instructional Design or related field?
- * Do you have Five (5) years of related experience in higher education instructional technology development?
- Cover Letter
- Veteran Preference (DD-214)