Head of Technical Services
San Diego State University Library & Information Access seeks applications and nominations of candidates for the position of Head of Technical Services. The successful candidate will be an enthusiastic, collegial, user-focused librarian who will provide dynamic leadership for our newly reorganized technical services departments and our new consortial and local library management system. The Head of Technical Services will provide direction and strategic management for the full spectrum of the technical services provided by the library including: acquisitions, cataloging, classification, physical processing, database and electronic resource maintenance, and processing of government publications. The successful candidate will lead Library Technical Services in new and interesting directions as information organization, discovery, and access tools change and evolve.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will:
- Supervise and guide day-to-day technical services activities, including: the acquisition, processing and cataloging of diverse formats, including special collections materials, while complying with national standards and practices.
- Provide leadership in planning, implementation and evaluation of the department’s activities and services to ensure timely access to materials as well as to meet emerging trends in technical services.
- Collegially lead 3 tenured librarians in an atmosphere of communication and participation.
- Supervise and coach 9 paraprofessional staff.
- Represent the Library and participate in the development of California State University (CSU) policies and maintenance of the new consortial and local system.
- With colleagues, monitor current standards and explore emerging technologies to more effectively support the organization of and access to Library resources.
- Collaborate with colleagues across the Library, including the metadata and digital collections staff, to enhance access to the library’s unique holdings.
- Participate in the shared governance of San Diego State University by serving on library, campus-wide, and California State University committees as needed.
- Develop assessment and benchmark strategies, maintain statistics, and compile narrative and statistical reports to support short and long-term planning for the department and Library.
- Perform original cataloging as needed, depending on expertise with subjects and/or formats.
- Participate in professional development activities to demonstrate a continuous and meritorious record of scholarly contributions and achievements in the profession.
- Other duties as needed.
- ALA-accredited master’s degree or equivalent foreign degree.
- Minimum of 5 years of substantial professional cataloging and database maintenance experience in a MARC environment in a university library.
- Minimum of 3 years successful experience supervising technical services paraprofessionals.
- Demonstrated experience managing the workflow of one or more technical services units including: metadata, monographic cataloging, serials cataloging, or electronic resources.
- Substantial and successful working experience with cataloging standards, tools and resources, such as RDA, LCSH, LCCS, ClassWeb, Cataloger's Desktop, MARC EDIT, FRBR, MARC21 or other metadata schemes (e.g. Dublin Core, EAD, TEI, MODS, and METS).
- Working knowledge of a current electronic resource management system.
- Ability to inspire and lead a diverse team in a changing field.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate, develop, and manage innovative projects or services.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to construct clear documentation.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills, particularly the ability to explain complex concepts to a wide variety of users in individual and group settings.
- Demonstrated successful organizational, analytical, project management, and problem solving skills.
- A record of scholarly contributions and achievements in the profession commensurate with the rank of Associate Librarian.
- Potential for meeting requirements for tenure and promotion based on library service, professional growth, and service to the University and community.
- Competence and sensitivity in working at a university in which students, faculty, and staff are broadly diverse with regard to many facets of identity, including but not limited to gender, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.
- Experience designing and deploying training programs for staff
- Experience with LC-PCC, BIBCO, NACO, and CONSER cataloging policy and cataloging guidelines.
- Working knowledge of a second language, preferably Spanish.
- Successful grant writing experience.
This is a full-time, twelve-month, tenure track faculty position. Tenure is dependent upon continuing high standards in library service effectiveness, professional growth and development, and service to the University and community.
This position will be ranked at Associate Librarian. Salary commensurate with experience.
Excellent benefits, including medical, dental, and vision plans, as well as 24 vacation days per year.
San Diego State University is a major public research institution offering bachelor's degrees in 91 areas, master's degrees in 78 areas, and doctorates in 22 areas. The university provides transformative experiences, both inside and outside of the classroom, for its 35,000 students. Students participate in research, international experiences, sustainability and entrepreneurship initiatives, and a broad range of student life and leadership opportunities. The university’s rich campus life features opportunities for students to participate in, and engage with, the creative and performing arts, a Division I athletics program, and the vibrant cultural life of the San Diego region. For more information, Visit www.sdsu.edu.
SDSU is a large, diverse, urban university and Hispanic-Serving Institution with a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence. Our campus community is diverse in many ways, including race, religion, color, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, pregnancy, medical condition, and covered veteran status. We strive to build and sustain a welcoming environment for all. SDSU is seeking applicants with demonstrated experience in and/or commitment to teaching and working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and members of underrepresented groups.
Review will begin immediately. Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Preference will be given to applications received by February 12, 2018. Applicants must apply via Interfolio at https://apply.interfolio.com/48296. Anticipated start date is July 2018.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
San Diego State University is a Title IX, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran status.