Postdoctoral Fellow (Computer Science)
Job Summary: Haverford College seeks to hire a full-time, exempt, fully benefits eligible Postdoctoral Fellow in support of the College’s pending DARPA contract, “Discovery reactions and uncovering mechanisms of perovskite formation.” This position is for an initial one year term, with the potential for up to four years pending successful performance and continuation of funding. Fulfillment of this position is contingent on funding approval.
The hired postdoctoral research fellow will conduct research on applications of active learning and interpretable models to predictive chemistry applications. This work focuses on fundamental research in interpretable models, especially as applied to active learning, along with the construction and evaluation of machine learning models for predictive experimental chemistry. It will include experimental analysis of these models as part of a recommendation system informed by a chemistry expert. The postdoctoral fellow will work closely with a cheminformatics postdoctoral fellow, chemistry postdoctoral fellow, and software engineer to implement new types of experimental planning tools, with a focus on automating the development and testing of chemical hypotheses.
The successful candidate will have previous, doctoral-level experiences in computer science, ideally in the area of machine learning or a related field. Background or interest in chemistry, computer vision, and/or computer graphics considered a plus.
Essential Functions & Primary Responsibilities:
- Construct and evaluate machine learning models for chemical applications
- Conduct fundamental research in interpretable models, as applied to active learning
- Work closely with postdoctoral researchers from chemistry and software engineer to turn research code into production-quality open-source software.
Education, Training, & Experience:
- Ph.D. in Computer Science or closely related field.
- The successful candidate will have previous, doctoral-level experiences in computer science, ideally in the area of machine learning or a related field. Background or interest in chemistry, computer vision, and/or computer graphics considered a plus.
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions Required of this Position:
- Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one place to another):
- Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds) Never
- Light Lifting (10-20 pounds): Never
- Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds): Never
- Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds): Never
- Pulling (to exert force upon an abject to move or change its direction: Never
- Pushing (to draw an object toward oneself to move or change its direction): Never
- Carrying (to hold objects while moving entire body): Never
- Reaching or working above shoulder (to extend arms upward or outward away from body): Never
- Walking (to move entire body in erect position): Up to three hours
- Standing (to maintain body in erect posture in stationary position): Up to three hours
- Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs with legs bent at knees): Six to eight hours
- Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while fully flexing knees): Never
- Kneeling (to maintain upper body in erect position while resting knees on ground): Never
- Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, inclined surfaces): Never
- Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain stationary): Never
- Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor, forklift, etc.): Never
- Exposure Limitation (i.e., cold water, dust, gas, fumes, extreme temperatures): Never
To Apply: Please visit https://haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External/job/Haverford-Campus/Postdoctoral-Research-Fellow---DARPA_R27-1
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please provide a cover letter, resume, and the names of three references as a consolidated Word document or PDF. Please note that failure to provide the requested information may result in failure for consideration.
Haverford College has a longstanding commitment to diversity rooted in values of inclusion and social justice, a commitment reflected in the academic program, lived experience, and composition of the College community. Haverford welcomes applications from candidates who share these values and who will contribute to the College’s educational mission.
Haverford College is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.