Job Summary: Haverford College seeks to hire a full-time, exempt, fully benefits eligible Software Engineer in support of the College’s pending DARPA contract, “Discovery reactions and uncovering mechanisms of perovskite formation.” This position is for an initial one year term, with the potential for up to four years pending successful performance and continuation of funding. Fulfillment of this position is contingent on funding approval.
The hired software engineer will develop open-source code supporting scientific research on the application of machining learning methods and simulations to problems in materials science. This work involves: database development and maintenance, web-portal development and maintenance, and other software development and documentation tasks. The software engineer will work closely with postdoctoral researchers from computer science and chemistry to turn research code into production-quality software.
The successful candidate will have previously demonstrated experience in Python, Django, and MySQL development. Previous experience with database and API design is highly desirable. Interest in or experience with machine learning, computer vision, and/or computer graphics considered a plus.
Essential Functions & Primary Responsibilities:
- Database development and maintenance,
- Web-portal development and maintenance,
- Work closely with postdoctoral researchers from computer science and chemistry to turn research code into production-quality open-source software.
Education, Training, & Experience:
- Bachelors’ degree or higher in Computer Science or related field.
- The successful candidate will have previously demonstrated experience in Python, Django, and MySQL development. Previous experience with database and API design is highly desirable. Interest in or experience with machine learning, computer vision, and/or computer graphics considered a plus
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions Required of this Position:
- Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one place to another):
- Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds) Never
- Light Lifting (10-20 pounds): Never
- Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds): Never
- Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds): Never
- Pulling (to exert force upon an abject to move or change its direction: Never
- Pushing (to draw an object toward oneself to move or change its direction): Never
- Carrying (to hold objects while moving entire body): Never
- Reaching or working above shoulder (to extend arms upward or outward away from body): Never
- Walking (to move entire body in erect position): Up to three hours
- Standing (to maintain body in erect posture in stationary position): Up to three hours
- Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs with legs bent at knees): Six to eight hours
- Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while fully flexing knees): Never
- Kneeling (to maintain upper body in erect position while resting knees on ground): Never
- Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, inclined surfaces): Never
- Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain stationary): Never
- Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor, forklift, etc.): Never
- Exposure Limitation (i.e., cold water, dust, gas, fumes, extreme temperatures): Never
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please provide your cover letter, resume,and the names of three references. Please note that failure to provide the required documentation may result in failure for consideration.
Haverford College has a longstanding commitment to diversity rooted in values of inclusion and social justice, a commitment reflected in the academic program, lived experience, and composition of the College community. Haverford welcomes applications from candidates who share these values and who will contribute to the College’s educational mission.
Haverford College is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.