Senior Staff Assistant – Downstate Academic Coordinator
Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative and nontraditional teaching and learning.
The college continues its 46-year commitment experimenting with new, flexible, and individualized modes of learning through such practices as mentoring students throughout their academic studies, creating individualized degree plans, valuing learning gained from life and work experience, building professional and social student support communities and creating flexible modes of delivery to meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college now boast over 75,000 proud and successful alumni and partners while serving appropriately 17,500 students a year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
Empire State College is a part of the SUNY System and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, ESC serves mostly working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at 35 locations across the state of New York and abroad.
SUNY Empire State College, Office of Undergraduate Studies, seeks a Downstate Academic Coordinator (State title: Senior Staff Assistant) to support academic functions at the college's locations in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Staten Island. The Downstate Academic Coordinator reports to the Dean of the School for Undergraduate Studies, and works closely with the Dean and Associate Deans. The Downstate Academic Coordinator will assist in managing and directing resources in our three Metro locations, particularly as they relate to partnership programs in the locations. The Downstate Academic Coordinator will collaborate with colleagues throughout SUNY Empire State College, including the Office of Academic Affairs (OAA), Office of Enrollment Management (OEM), and Office of Administration (OA).
- Support downstate academic partners by managing course schedules for partners, serving as local resource/liaison for partners and partnership students, and tracking partnership enrollments
- Communicate with, and advise, the dean and undergraduate associate deans regarding emerging or ongoing academic issues in the downstate region
- Work with undergraduate associate deans and faculty academic coordinators to support course scheduling and academic programming
- Liaise with the Office of Academic Affairs and the Office of the Registrar to efficiently address and resolve issues pertaining to student registrations and degree programs
- Assist associate deans in recruiting, orienting and supporting adjuncts
- A Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited U.S. university or comparable non-U.S. university
- Excellent communication and management skills
- Demonstrated organizational skills
- Expertise in using the Microsoft Office suite and demonstrated ability to learn new software
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion in higher education and within our communities
- Graduate coursework from a regionally accredited U.S. university or comparable non-U.S. university
- Experience working with nontraditional student populations in higher education
- Previous administrative experience in higher education, working directly with students and faculty
- Ability to support productive dialog
- Visa sponsorship is not available for this position
- This position could be located either in Manhattan or in Brooklyn, and travel to regions with other Empire State College locations is required, along with some evening and weekend obligations
Rank/Salary: $50,000 - $55,000, dependent on qualifications.
Applications Due by: Applications accepted until position is filled.
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security